Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

5.5G Project With H.I.D 35Watt Mh D.I.Y

scholar

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

neither can I but I have to wait till the 15th of this month due to being entered into the canreef 5.5 contest.

here are some udated pics I have the baffles now put in and the dolphin mounted in place.

I also have a pics of the hole I drilled to mount the return pump in. Im not sure if im going to go with a Mj 600 ora 400 so I drilled the hole large enough so I could place the flow director in there thus alowing me to slip either pump in and out of the wall for cleaning and to get more flow.

SeptOct025.jpg

SeptOct026.jpg

SeptOct028.jpg

SeptOct029.jpg

SeptOct030.jpg

SeptOct031.jpg

SeptOct032.jpg

SeptOct033.jpg

SeptOct034.jpg

SeptOct035.jpg

SeptOct036.jpg

SeptOct037.jpg

SeptOct038.jpg

SeptOct039.jpg

You have some very cool ideas in the thread. I cant wait to see what it looks like wet, and how the HID will look.

I spy an EMAXX body !!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well I know its been awhile on posting any progress on the tank, this is due to a brake up between the wife and I. I'm just now moving back to my house so the tank got water in her today. I will be posting some pics asap!

I have a few questions

1.how did you determine where to drill the hole for the maxi-jet?

2. what did you use to bind the acrylic and glass?

3. what are the dimensions of the acrylic pieces?

Well here are some updated pics of the tank. It has been setup for a week now. Everything was taken from my main system in the basement. no rock or sand etc was out of the water for more then 10sec's and all the water from my system also (just in case people are going to give me trouble for stocking it already)

well here are some pics

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

I have since removed the mushroom it was an unwanted hitch hiker and I had to remove the birdsnest since it was getting burnt.

I just drilled the whole for the maxi Jet almost dead center in the left side of the rear pain. I used lots of silicone to get it to stick to the glass I know that this is not the proper method but since there isnt going to be a huge amount of pressue on the lexan i figure i should be ok.

I have since swapped out the 600 for a 400 for the return pump

I will get you some dimensions of the lexan if you want it.

Please let me know what every one thinks of it so far??????????????!!!!!

i'm going to route the wires through the back pannel. i had to switch out the light bulb since i extended the wires to help with the hiding it. but when i did that i was losing to many amps through the little 18G wire. it will cleaned up by next week

mike you have a Pm

I will get you some dimensions of the lexan if you want it.

Please let me know what every one thinks of it so far??????????????!!!!!

I would love the demensions if it isn't any trouble. You're tank looks great already. i love the sand

do you like the flow of the maxi-jet 600.. i was looking into getting that instead of using the 400 but was wondering if it was too much?

Well have been monitering my temps and now that I have raised the water level in the rear of the tank i hae stabled out at 82.1 lights off to 83.4 with lights on for 10ish hours give or take. I still dont trust the light 100% so i make sure im home when i turn it on dont want there to be any fires... (99.9% that nothing can or will happen but just not that full level of trust)

Ya the sand was just me trying to be diffrent i do like it though and every one that comes to the house does comment on it looking neat :). I took the 600 out it wasnt that there was to much flow in the display area but the fact that I dont have enough teeth on the overflow so with the 600 going it was pushing the water to the very brim of the tank (aka playing with fire) I now have a 400 in it. If I was going to make the tank again I would more teeth so I could install the 600, you can never have to much flow. The measurments are: I have the chamber set 5inches into the tank and each rear chamber is 4 inches give or take wide. the center baffle is raised off the bottum pain by 1.5inches. Like I said I would do the teeth so that the are all the way on one chamber so for lots of flow. let me know if this helps. glad you like the looks :)

• 2 weeks later...
Looking very cool. But what's with the black/white sand?

ying and yang, the perfect balance!

lol it does look a little weird, but it's definately different.

• 1 month later...

Here are some updated pics for every one. Please be advized that the lights just came on not an hour before the pic's are taken.

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

Archived