Cultivated Reef

cool lights for cheap

mxpro32

i have found an incredible deal in lights.  they are the corkscrew standard socket flourescent type but they are 6500 K with a beautiful color.  they are bright white with a light hint of blue. no yellow tint at all.  they put out 1750 lumens and best of all they are only 12 bucks. heres the link.http://www.efi.org/products/lighting/cflsprin.html  check em out.   i just built a light hood for my two gallons.  i put one of these and a 13 w actinic and it fits perfect over the small tank and the light is awesome. definately check them out.

reef hugger

i don't want to burst your bubble but, i have a 20 watt version of that bulb and the color will shift to yellowish/whiteish (lose the blue tint) fairly quickly. also the lumen output doesn't stay that high for very long. they may last awhile but they don't stay that bright.

i thought  they would be great but im not to impressed with them. i would use them for an emergency light source if something were to happen. like if your bulb burned out suddenly and you had to wait a week for a replacement to get there. IMO

hey josh you have a different bulb.  this company only makes the 6500 K in a 27w bulb.  the 20 w bulb is only 2400 K which would explain the yellow color. look at the web site and youll see.

reef hugger

i got mine from HD they sell a 20watt 6500K spiral bulb for $7.99. yours looks identical to mine. i bet the same company made them and are selling under different names. the HD are sold as Commercial Electric.

You can skimp on alot of things, but lighting is not the one to choose. Good quality ballasts and lighting equipment pay for them selves over time.

Archived