Top Shelf Aquatics

Iodine supplement

Basile

I've been recently aware of the iodine demands of some soft coral, namely the " Xenia" and others. I have no ideals about its implication or if really necessary. But i can tell you this , this Xenia that is suppose to be invasive as done absolutly nothing, not grown or spread one bit , after 9 months. And after reading that iodine is very good for xenia and other it would seem, can anybody tell me how much iodine a should have and the dosage, i red one drop once a week for a 20G. All that after testing of course, never add before knowing...

Thanks.

without testing you can nuke your tank quicker than bleach. Stay away from Lugol's if you are going to dose because it's too concentrated for a 20g and test first.

Xenia is a funny coral some tanks just can not grow it for unknown reasons.

And to be honest... waterchanges prob take care of your iodine needs.

without testing you can nuke your tank quicker than bleach. Stay away from Lugol's if you are going to dose because it's too concentrated for a 20g and test first.

Xenia is a funny coral some tanks just can not grow it for unknown reasons.

And to be honest... waterchanges prob take care of your iodine needs.

Ok thanks, i was going to test first and use only 1/4 of the dose they recommmend and at long intervals. yes w/c would take care of it but i'm out of the country 45 days at a time so every 45 days for w/c for me my tanks is great just the xenia , it may even be not that parameter thats is at fault either. as for the brand i was going for a lesser concentration, kent ( they recommend 2 caps every week for 3 weeks; PHaaa they're crazy i don't want to nuke them just a few drops every 2 weeks after testing of course. I think its reasonable. Will advise. Thanks again.

post-34008-1222374376_thumb.jpg

Test for it before you add it.

Golden rule.

Most definitely thanks. And i wont go by their recommendations either. Two caps per weeks for 3 weeks is too much.

I'll go with few drops every 2 weeks. I want to supplement not bleach the tank.That is if its the problem with my Xenias, maybe something else like the KH to high or low, will see.

I bought some iodide not iodine. whats the difference. i used the bottle up in like 45 days and everything was fine if not better want to get some more but whats the difference in what i am using-iodide and iodine?

I have had a tank with more soft corals than water. I never dosed iodine and had crazy growth. Most experts say dont dose iodine and that there is more than enough in the salt mix you use. As far as dosing goes...with just softies there is no real reason to dose anything at all as long as you do weekly water changes.

Archived