Pod Your Reef

corraline growth

2gnano

I am not really a newb, but I didnt know where to put this. Anyone have I deas on boosting corraline growth? i want it all over my tank walls except the front, I have seen some pretty amazing stuff with corraline. TIA

* I am a newb to this forum but not to nano reefing. Nice site!!:)

don't forget the Mg.

you could also let the tank walls 'go' (i.e. no scraping or maintenance) for a couple of days at least to let the coralline spores have a chance to settle/anchor themselves. once anchored, the coralline can grow faster.

Tiny, Mg? Magnesium? Do tell.... First I've heard of this.

Thanks....Ross.

P.S. Is email notify not working? I'm not getting jack in my inbox about threads being replied to.

yoyo,

you should start seeing 'speckling' in a week ime. optimally? it could be one day tho for all i know. i'm not super observant :blush: when it comes to that stuff since i only acknowledge it when i can easily see it. (i.e. 1~2mm)

2g,

hmmm? did you say s o m e t h i n g?

we're just ignoring you. :P jk

i've found a strong current (75gph+) better than a slow current. i believe this stems from the inherently stronger calcium structure of the coralline better suited to 'resist' the currents versus other competing algae-types. it's just an observation over many instances but it makes sense to me to explain what i've seen. (i.e. don't ask me for any scientifical logs or anything :P )

Tiny is pretty much dead on. I went away on Sunday of last week and returned yesterday to little splotches of green corralline in the lower left (rear) corner of the tank.

As for ways to promote and boost growth. There are a few things you can do. The chems, as mentioned, all work. I would be very careful in dosing mg. Might want to simply do waterchanges regularly and dose the b-ionic route as it is far easier than kalk and Mg and leaves less room for errors.

Second, you can scrape some corralline that is on your live rock. Scraping it will help spread it. Snails and other shelled critters also help by dragging their shells across your corralline. Small tuxedo urchins supposedly aide in corralline spreading but I have no experience there.

Lastly, if you don't have much corralline in the tank to scrape, you can buy booster pegs. IPSF.com sells them and I'm sure you can find them in other places. Aquariumarts.com sells corralline algaes as well.

I am considering picking up some of the ipsf.com booster plugs (for color mainly. the green algae is ugly as hell) as I want to seed my live sand and fuge with goodies now that I am back and the 9 for 99 is tough to fill since they won't ship the sea bunnies to NY. I will let y'all know if they are any good.

Archived