Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Which chiller should I get for a JBJ 28 HQI?

dubbly

I need a chiller for my JBJ 28 Gallon. Is it possible to get too big of a chiller? I am thinking about following two chillers. Will both of them work? What is the down side of going with the bigger chiller if any?

1/10 HP Prime Modular Chiller from current USA, 760 BTU and rated to 50 gallons

1/15 HP Prime Modular Chiller from current USA, 1485 BTU and rated to 80 Gallons

http://www.current-usa.com/primechillermini.html

Also, will either one fit in the JBJ stand?

Thank you,

Ben

I'd go for the 1/10 if you can afford it. It will be on less often, so it'll be a wash on energy use probably. I think you could fit one in your stand, but it's probably not a good idea because it vents from the front and back and I think the JBJ stand has the vents on the side. I have a 1/15 prime on a 24G and it works fine, and would probably work fine for you, but more is better and if money isn't an option, get the bigger one. You can always use it if you upgrade to a bigger tank in the future too! You could also get a JBJ chiller which will vent properly in your stand.

The downside of adding a higher BTU chiller is that you'll need more flow and space. I'm sure you could use too big a chiller, but a 1/10 wouldn't be it. :)

I need a chiller for my JBJ 28 Gallon. Is it possible to get too big of a chiller? I am thinking about following two chillers. Will both of them work? What is the down side of going with the bigger chiller if any?

1/10 HP Prime Modular Chiller from current USA, 760 BTU and rated to 50 gallons

1/15 HP Prime Modular Chiller from current USA, 1485 BTU and rated to 80 Gallons

http://www.current-usa.com/primechillermini.html

Also, will either one fit in the JBJ stand?

Thank you,

Ben

I'm running a 1/15hp Prime Chiller on my 28G. I installed it in my stand, but I installed CPU fans with a high CFM rating on the inside vents to get adequate air ciruclation to the chiller. It works perfect; with the chiller pushed into the stand, the vents with the fans blow directly to the front intake of the chiller...the exhaust then exits through the back bottom opening in the stand. Temps are staying at 78F and the chiller doesnt come on constantly.

P.S. Using a MJ1200 to push water through my chiller.

Marc

I would try some fans before investing in a chiller and paying for all that hydro.

I've used fans to keep my tanks cool, but the chiller keeps the temps way more stable and my setup is a lot cleaner now without fans all over my tank. Dont get me wrong, fans are a great cheap alternative, but I am much happier using a chiller. :)

Archived