SaltCritters.com

strange worm thing.. please help ident.

neo16769

I noticed a few of these worm things in my tank the other night and anytime i turn on the lights they go back in their rock. there are about 5 or so of them and they seem to be attached to the rock because they're always in the same place... during the day they're nowhere to be seen... anyone have a clue what these are and if they're going to be a pain when i start getting some corals in the tank?

no, it's not like a bristleworm... it doesn't have any bristles on it... it sorta looks like an earthworm the way it's colored, and i think it's segmented like one as well...

Its a peanut worm (Sipunculan). They are basically harmless worms that burrow holes in live rock and only come out at night to feed on detritus and other microscopic organisims. You know you have them if you find small perfectly circular holes in your live rock. Reef Safe ;)

Well excuuuuussseeee me! :P

I was simply trying to ID based on the DARK picture and bristles do have that pink/grey thing going which is what I thought I saw in the picture. The DARK picture.

*shrug*

lol yea sorry for the crappy pic but it was my nightshot on my digital camcorder... like i said any time i had the light on, even for a second, they would go back in their rock.... but thanks for the help guys... ;)

Archived