Pod Your Reef

Shadowrider's 75 Gal Build (Updated)

Shadowrider

Scrapping the 72 gal bow front in favor of a 75 gal rectangle. Tank is drilled for 1.5" overflow with a glass-holes 700 gph internal overflow and a 3/4" Loc-line return with a mag-drive 5 pump. sump/refuge is a eShopps R200 and will be located in a closet in a room behind the display tank. Tank is cleaned, back painted black, egg crate cut to size for top openings. Fuge is sitting on a 2X4 frame and will be lit with a coralife 24" X 65W PC light. Skimmer is a Remora hang on with a mag-drive 5 pump.

Display tank lighting at the moment will be a 48" Coralife fixture with 4X65 W 10000K PC's and a 48" Coralife with 2 actinic tubes. Next project will be moving the 72 gal to a new spot till I can get the 75 plumbed in and running. LFS owner drilled the tank for me.

72 Gal got moved today and the new 75 gal is filling the empty spot. Got to start planning the plumbing, but, that job has befallen on my son.

Obi Juan kenobi
72 Gal got moved today and the new 75 gal is filling the empty spot. Got to start planning the plumbing, but, that job has befallen on my son.

Nascar Yee Haw............LOL, thats looks like a good spot for it :D

What are your plans for plumbing?

What are your plans for plumbing?

I have a eShopps fuge located in a room behind the tank. A Glass-Holes.com 700 gph overflow box with a 2" drain that will run through the wall into the fuge. A Mag-Drive 5 pump will return the water to the tank through 1/2" PVC into a 3/4" bulkhead with LocLine. A Remora skimmer will hang on the side of the fuge and a Mag_Drive 3 pump will keep it bubbling. I can shut the closet door where the fuge is and then close the bedroom door and my tank should be near silent. (at least that's what I'm hoping for :) ). I picked up all the PVC pipe and fittings tonight and hopefully will get everything together in a couple of days or so. I'll post pictures.

Plumbing was completed this afternoon and tank was filled with tap water for a test run. Everything worked perfectly except the skimmer which was sucking some air and not pumping 100%. Removed the plumbing and hooked the mag-drive directly to the skimmer and all is well now. When everything is running the overflow drains plenty of water and there is good flow from the return pump. The only noise at the display tank is a slight water fall sound from the overflow. With the power turned off the sump will hold all of the tank water that runs through the overflow and siphons back through the return pump. It fills the fuge to within about an inch of the top and causes the sides to bow out a bit but nothing overflows and all the water is contained so I shouldn't have any unexpected disasters. The only plumbing visible at the display tank is a short piece of the drain and return piping. I may paint them the same color as the wall so they will blend in and not be noticeable. Everything is connected with unions so in the event anything needs to be replaced it can be disconnected and removed (including the display tank). My son did a most excellent job fabricating all the plumbing and putting it together for me. I'll empty the tank tomorrow and start mixing salt water. Hoping I can move everything from my 72 gal bow in a couple of days.

Tank is up and running and, with the pumps and fuge in another room it is quiet except for a bit of waterfall through the overflow. All in all I'm quite happy with the results.

Archived