Coral Vue Hydros

Current Nova Extreme T5HOs x2: 24 in. and 30 inch!?

Reefnub21

Hey everyone! I have so many questions to ask, but I'm so stuck into looking at other posts I forget to request help for myself lol. Anyways...I currently have a 24 inch Current Nova Extreme T5HO x2 fixture for my 30x18x12 All Glass Aquariums(good tanks?) glass tank. I've had the tank now for 5 months, and its looking great besides the Nitrate problems Ive been having for 2-3 months now (been at 20 ALL DAMN DAY OF MY LIFE!), but thats another subject. :lol:

So my question is...I wanted to grab a 30 inch Nova Extreme T5HO x2 on Ebay. You can really grab a nice deal on one of the fixtures (70-75$ shipped) ( http://www.current-usa.com/novaextremet5hox2.html ) and I hear they are one of the best T5's on the market atm. I have the space to put in another, but I wanted to make sure that it isnt TOO much light. Imo, I think I need it, especially if i want to house some sps's in the future. So I was thinking of a good photo period for my tank.

Nova Extreme 24 inch: 9am-8pm

Nova Extreme 30 inch: 10am-7pm

White moonlights: 7pm-3 am

Blue Moonlights: 2am-10 am

I currently have my zoa's,palys,shrooms, and frogspawn at the top or in the middle of my tank. Would they need to be moved to the bottom once I get the lights?

Any thoughts, ideas, criticism would be sweeet, later all!

~Zach

FTS

post-37546-1222221708_thumb.jpg

how long have you had the anemone? it looks like it is reaching for more light.

what is the wattage on each fixture?

add the new fixture. it definitely isn't going to be too much light - not even close, imo.

The anemone is usually never like that. He's always spread out and open, but his tentacles look pretty thin a good 90% of the time. Is he stretching his tentacles for more light? I hear they don't need a crazy amount, so idk what it would be. I'm thinking he's just releasing his water, but meh, idk.

Light fixture i currently have is on the link above in my post, model #1124 24w actinic and 24w 10k DL

I would like to add model #1137

Edit: Photo taken 5 min ago White leg= no zooanthellae? He looks brown/yellow in the middle and bottom, but near its base, it's pretty white.

post-37546-1222223893_thumb.jpg

I have a 30 inch and I use a 36" Nova Extreme Pro. Thats 6*39w. That should be plenty of light for your depth. My depth is 18" and it seems like its plenty. (My shrooms need to be in the shade or else they don't expand)

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the incite!

Do you have any SPS, clams natch?

If i bought the 30 in, that would make my tank a cool 96w, which seems like nothing compared to your 234w Pro =p, but... The new T5s carry the new, low wattage SlimPaq lamps, but push out twice the power than the old HO fixtures Current offers. My corals and zoa's are growing slower than expected, even with the good Calcium, KH, and flow their getting.

Should I just dump the fixture I have right now and go for a Pro fixture, MH, or just add on with the 30 in. and get these results: 2x24w Actinic, 2x24w 10k DL

I mean its all up to you.

I haven't really ventured pasted LPS, but I don't have a doubt that I can at least keep easier SPS towards the top of the tank.

Since your depth is only 16", I think a T5 like the 36" Nova Extreme Pro would be sufficient for SPS/Clams. Don't quote me tho, as I do not really have experience with those types of corals/bivalves. Hopefully someone else comments as well to confirm most of what I said to be true?

Since the legs of a NEP are adjustable, you could fit it on your 30" with a little hang over. Of course if you wanted more efficient/better light you could go Tek/ATI. But the lights you have now, supposedly don't have as good of reflectors as an NEP. (NEP has a slight step up w/ reflector quality than the reg Nova Extremes by Current)

Only reason I don't suggest MH is because it will run hot and you don't really need it because you don't have a deep tank. Of course there are many who swear by it for that shimmer.

Archived