Pod Your Reef

help me choose an RO/DI unit

Goonter

I have been looking for a long time and see two different models that stand out to me, if you guys could tell me which you think is better, i would be thankful.

1) Buckeye Field Supply BFS-160 Premium Series 100 gpd RO/DI System - $177.00

or

2) Bulkreefsupply

If you feel both of these suck, let me know what you recommend instead, i am looking to be able to use it for drinking and for reefing. I don't see a point in buying a filter for strictly reef water, so i wanted the DI for reef, and the RO for drinking. Any insight would be wonderful. Thanks for your help.

The Buckeye units are great and so is their costumer service. I love my BFS unit. I would go with a 75GPD model though because IIRC the 100GPD membrane isnt as efficient

Have you checked to see if you have chloramines in your tap? if so check out the MFS chloramine unit.

Jesse

The Buckeye units are great and so is their costumer service. I love my BFS unit. I would go with a 75GPD model though because IIRC the 100GPD membrane isnt as efficient

Have you checked to see if you have chloramines in your tap? if so check out the MFS chloramine unit.

Jesse

yup, i have checked and my water does not contain chloramines as far as my water report shows.

airwaterice FTW

seriously though they're all the same in the end

I got a Mighty Might from Air Water Ice. Only used it once but it is awesome. Comes with everything you need to hook it up to bathroom sink. Its light and portable so you can closet it when your done. Get a TDS meter when you buy one too. That way you know your filter is working properly.

I really need to buy one and have been leading towards the mighty might for a while. Tons of people here use it and have no issues with it or their tank.

All the housing are pretty much the same, its only the filters that matter.

I bought a used one locally and got all my filters from the filter guys. they have full units too, and great customer service

All ro/di systems are not equal.

Yes they all achive 0 TDS but the rejection rates are different depending on the brand/model you choose.

The new Spectrapure MaxCap UHE 100gpd has a 1:1 rejection ratio. If you pay for water that system will eventually pay for itself.

NO they DO NOT all achieve -0- TDS.

If the ro/di system is brand new it will achieve 0 TDS for at least a short period of time.

Stick with the popular name brands and you should be fine.

If you pay for water look into the more efficient ro/di systems because it will save you money!

I don’t think efficiency is a high priority since this is a nano forum and we only require small amounts of water anyways. lol

The Propagator

NO not even all trusted brands will.

Sorry but your mistaken.

They do not all produce -0- TDS new or not.

They may advertise -0- TDS but producing it is another thing entirely.

As well its based largely on water pressure, and the quality of source water feeding into it to start with.

Now if you have a quality set up with DUAL chamber ( not an Ebay special or corallife junk ) then you have a better chance of getting -0- TDS.

Sticking to a trusted brand name is a very good idea no doubt, but don't rely on it delivering -0- right out of the box, or even with new media.

Now if you have a quality set up with DUAL chamber ( not an Ebay special or corallife junk ) then you have a better chance of getting -0- TDS.

Coralife junk? Blastphemy! :slap: I have a Coralife Pure Flo II 50GPD 4 Stage RO/DI unit and it's put out ZERO TDS since the day I got it. I'm not going to say it isn't important, but I've never checked my water pressure (lucky I guess). I don't remember what my source water was when I lived in Philly with this unit, but here in TX my source water TDS is about 240-250.

I did purchase a dual in line TDS meter so I can watch the water after RO and after DI so I know when to change my filters, but it's worked great for me.

One thing I will say is when you buy a quality name brand unit you will receive better filter cartriges. I have since replaced the ones that originally came with my "junk" and I've been very happy with it. The Filmtec membrane is niiiice.

Now... with all that said (sorry got a little defensive when Prop called my baby junk) I only suggestion would be DO NOT purchase any RO/DI unit that has a horizontal DI cartridge. Those can produce "channeling" in the DI and thus you won't get the full effectiveness of all the DI in the canister.

Gosh Prop you are such a jerk! :happy:

ok, so back on the topic, as i wanted to use this to drink and for aquarium use, and i want it under $200, i am leaning more towards the BFS, but which has better filters? I have no clue what my water pressure is and i have no clue how to test it. I will probably buy a two line TDS meter.

ok, so back on the topic, as i wanted to use this to drink and for aquarium use, and i want it under $200, i am leaning more towards the BFS, but which has better filters? I have no clue what my water pressure is and i have no clue how to test it. I will probably buy a two line TDS meter.

A lot of the units come with a water pressure meter. When in doubt you can also buy one with a pump to ensure your pressure is correct.

The Propagator

Jerk here, ( :P )

If you buy a cheap unit with horizontally mounted D.I. chambers just mount them vertically on the wall beside the unit and the problem is solved. Make sure the ins are on the bottom and the outs are on the top and your set.

The best value in a RO/DI is the 75 GPD Premium system from www.buckeyefieldsupply.com . The best RO/DI period at any cost is the MaxCap or MaxCap UHE from www.spectrapure.com . Some find the additional cost of the Spectrapure units hard to swallow but when you look at an RO/DI system as a fine tool and a long term investment they are number one. The difference in initial cost will be recouped in the first year or two at most, for me with a couple of tanks both large and small it was in the first 10 months.

Archived