ReefCleaners.org

Is it okay to use plain tap water?

DeepSea

Due to lots of reasons, the short answer is yes! You should probably be using reverse osmosis/deionized water (RO/DI), which you can either make yourself using a filtration system, or you can check your local grocery stores, many have RO units you can use for $.30/gallon or so. In the long run, you'll want your own unit, RO/DI is pure, and without any potential contaminants and/or phosphates. Check your LFS, many will also have either pre-mixed water or RO/Di water to sell

Due to lots of reasons, the short answer is NO! You should probably be using reverse osmosis/deionized water (RO/DI), which you can either make yourself using a filtration system, or you can check your local grocery stores, many have RO units you can use for $.30/gallon or so. In the long run, you'll want your own unit, RO/DI is pure, and without any potential contaminants and/or phosphates. Check your LFS, many will also have either pre-mixed water or RO/Di water to sell

Fixed it for you :P

I just posted this on another topic...should be considered:

Another tidbit of advice...if they have them in your area, go to Walgreens (and pick up a TDS meter for $15 to make sure what you are getting is true RO/DI (there are other threads on here about this). Not sure on the accuracy/resolution of this particular instrument/brand, but the measurement principal is basic and other folks feedback has been good.

I've been buying "RO/DI" from a LFS and when I tested yesterday it read 178 ppm...a far cry from 0! When I tested water straight out of the tap it was 217 ppm. Although my tank is doing good so far, I'm a little pissed that I've been mislead and also that I didnt follow my typical "trust no one" policy.

another reason to make your own water, never trust the LFS unless they show you readings

What is the water conditioner for then?

freshwater tanks only, and for wasting your money

ok lets step back a bit how big is the tank your going to fill? I ask that to determine if it would be in you best interest to by a ro/di system or just go buy it at wal-mart. RO is very importmant to a healthy system, dont skimp on the one main item you need for a successful tank. distilled is fine but it retails for a bit more most of the time

Kol-Ster-il water mixed with reef salt is fine but you need to do you top offs with RO water but thats another thread

Archived