Top Shelf Aquatics

Pseudochromis lovers...

Tataynic45

Anyone have a Pseudochromis Splendid?? I need some aquarist 411 on the nature of these splendid little fishes. I've read conflicting info on their size and natural habitat (one site had them living in the Gulf Of Mexico to Carribean.) Besides that, what is your favorite Pseudo species?

harbingerofthefish

As to thier habits, probally like most dottybacks. Aggressive towards other dottybacks, typically hardy, easy to feed, etc.

I've never seen one of these in person, so a little curious search brought up a few conflicting hits. It seems that these fish are listed as max size anywhere from 3-8". The larger coming from ORA which actually breeds these fish.

http://www.orafarm.com/dottybacks.html

http://fishbase.sinica.edu.tw/summary/Spec...ry.cfm?id=12714

and

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...d=21&pCatId=178

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/643914.html

I like sunsirse dotties personally. Just colorful and playfull.

harbingerofthefish

Yeah the 8" thing kinda caught me off guard. But since it was on ORAs site...?

I'm not sure on the hybrid thing. Seeing as they are wild caught hybrid probally isn't the right word. But I have seen where Dottybacks and Basselets are lumped together. What's the difference? I haven't looked into it. Like what's the difference between a bi-color dotty and a royal gramma?

But anyways, the spledins do have beautiful coloration. I thin that's why I like the sunrises so much. :D

I've had a splendid pseudo for a while now. He's quite possibly the smartest fish I've ever witnessed. One time all my other fish were attacking an icecube of diced fish and he waited idly by. When it was just the right size he darted in and grabbed the whole thing. Quickly he went off to his cave and hid it, only to return to the feeding site to search for more. When he was convinced no food was left out there he went back to his cave to eat alone in peace. This fish seemed to max out around five inches. He is semi-aggressive and has started to hunt down damsels, he's damn good at it too!! You can really see the determination when he's searching for an injured fish. At his size he seems to like small crevices and caves. His favorites are the clam and oyster shells that have a small opening but large cavity within. I would not reccomend one in any tank with small inverts or fish. Note that it doesn't have to be able to fit things in it's mouth for it to hunt them down. Provide a good variety of meaty foods and keep this fish in a fish only tank with fish it's size or slightly larger. It does not bother any fish it can't kill. Feel free to ask any questions.

Yes we got him at Aquatic. Got lucky actually. We were looking for fish for my dad's tank and we had just about given up. My brother went over to the aggressive section just for the hell of it and there he was, almost at the end of the row, alone, and not listed. We asked about him. They made up a price ($40.00) and we bought him. Saw one there the last time we were there and its colors did not compare and it was much smaller. I hope you didn't buy that one. They could look a lot better than that. No pics right now but I'm supposed to borrow a digi real soon.

Tank:

56 double hex FOWOLR

Filtration: Rio 1400, Powersweep 226, Whisper 1, Skilter 250

Livestock: Yellow Damsel, Yellow Tail Damsel, Yellow Coris Wrasse, Red Coris Wrasse, Sailfin Tang, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Splendid Pseudochromis, Panther Grouper, Stripped Puffer, Saddleback Damsel

I hope you're not considering one for your nano.... that flame angel already don't sound right for a 20g... =T

the flame is doing good, livin the life just grazin. But I think I might trade him in for some credit and get something smaller. Right now he's a juvi. Anyways, Splendids really get to 5 inches?? really? That's kinda big.

Actually he's about 4in... and hasn't grown sinse we bougth him. He's still big though. When you look at my livestock list he holds his own with a stirpped puffer and panther grouper both of which are a little bigger than him. Didn't think he'd be this camera shy though. I'll get better pics later when I feed all of them.

Archived