SaltCritters.com

Good water to buy?

sarah_nick

I've tried this and do not reccomend it. After adding this to my exsisting setup I had a cyano bacteria outbreak in my tank and I still see traces of it.

I should have trusted the old saying of "if it an't broke, then don't try an fix it."

I've tried this and do not reccomend it. After adding this to my exsisting setup I had a cyano bacteria outbreak in my tank and I still see traces of it.

How do you know you had this? What does it look like? Can you do a test for it?

+1 on the RO/DI and mix. I have a LFS I have bought water from for a long time and 30 cents a gallon is pretty good, for water I trust but I have finally invested in my own system. I just got sick of lugging teh water around.

I can't find anyone that sells RO/DI water in the UK.

Recommendations would be appreciated! :)

your lfs might not sell RO/DI water but I bet they will sell premixed salt water. If you wanna mix your own either buy a RO or RO/DI unit of else you can go the route of buying distilled water in local store. Which ever way you go you might find it is worth the investment in a RO or RO/DI unit especially if you start larger tanks. Good look and enjoy

Another tidbit of advice...go to Walgreens and pick up a TDS meter for $15 to make sure what you are getting is true RO/DI (there are other threads on here about this). Not sure on the accuracy/resolution of this particular instrument/brand, but the measurement principal is basic and other folks feedback has been good.

I've been buying "RO/DI" from a LFS and when I tested yesterday it read 178 ppm...a far cry from 0! When I tested water straight out of the tap it was 217 ppm. Although my tank is doing good so far, I'm a little pissed that I've been mislead and also that I didnt follow my typical "trust no one" policy.

No, it's cheaper to buy (RO/DI) filtered water and purchase any one of the commercially available marine salt mixes.

+1 i used nutriseawater in my 8 gallon biocube for about 3 months. the salinity is pretty high and needs to be mixed with RO/DI water to bring it down to an acceptable salinity. also, it is too expensive to use in the long-run IMO. i would suggest buying an RO/DI filter...it is worth the money in the long-run.

What about bottled RO water from I think its called Tesco? I believe its like Walmart here. They might also sell distilled. Just read the labels. Buy salt mix make your own.

Another tidbit of advice...go to Walgreens and pick up a TDS meter for $15 to make sure what you are getting is true RO/DI (there are other threads on here about this). Not sure on the accuracy/resolution of this particular instrument/brand, but the measurement principal is basic and other folks feedback has been good.

I've been buying "RO/DI" from a LFS and when I tested yesterday it read 178 ppm...a far cry from 0! When I tested water straight out of the tap it was 217 ppm. Although my tank is doing good so far, I'm a little pissed that I've been mislead and also that I didnt follow my typical "trust no one" policy.

Tc , What is the brand of tds meter at walgreens? I was unaware they had one. You have a pic?

What about bottled RO water from I think its called Tesco? I believe its like Walmart here. They might also sell distilled. Just read the labels. Buy salt mix make your own.

They do sell bottled water. I've found some bottled water which says:

Description

PRODUCT OF SCOTLAND.

NATURALLY FILTERED THROUGH LAND CERTIFIED AS ORGANIC BY THE SOIL ASSOCIATION AND DRAWN FROM A PROTECTED SOURCE. HIGHLAND SPRING IS 100% SCOTTISH NATURAL SPRING WATER.

Nutrition

AVERAGE ANALYSIS mg/L

Calcium 40.5

Magnesium 11.6

Potassium 0.9

Sodium 9.4

Chloride 8.1

Sulphate 6.4

Nitrate (as NO3) 2.4

Dry residue at 180°C 158

Any good?

I have a water filter already - would this acheive the same thing?

I didn't realise water was such a confusing subject!! :)

Tc , What is the brand of tds meter at walgreens? I was unaware they had one. You have a pic?

Not exactly sure on the brand, will check when I get home today. It was in the kitchen aisle where they have all the water filtration products.

I was skeptical on its accuracy (being walgreens and $15), so I ran some basic tests with different types of water (tap, bottled, distilled, true DI (from work) and LFS) and got very repeatable results and felt comfortable with the numbers given the type of water.

I also found a source of RO water about a 1/4 mile from my house (The Water Spot) for $0.25/g...it tested 4-7ppm. I was paying $0.50/g for 177ppm at the LFS.

sarah_nick,

NO thats not the right water, bottled distilled water is what you want...not spring water. Look at all the stuff in it. Best thing is to buy your own RO/DI unit and make your own if you can.

sarah_nick,

NO thats not the right water, bottled distilled water is what you want...not spring water. Look at all the stuff in it. Best thing is to buy your own RO/DI unit and make your own if you can.

I think I will.

I've found some distilled water online, but it costs £90 for 40 litres (about $180 for 8 gallons)!! Seems really expensive to me!

I have been getting my distilled water from walmart, well I was looking at the jug the other day and it is actually r/o water that has been distilled, Also I know that each store gets their water from different producers according to location so everyone who gets their water from walmart will have different results, I am from central ohio and our walmart gets theirs from a producer in columbus, but in the long run i say get an RO/DI unit its cheaper and you then know the maintance schedule on the filters because you are doing it.

I hope this helps,

Casey

sarah_nick,

+1 One time investment :D

Archived