Coral Vue Hydros

home depot

jeffsz28

for a 32watt pc light- what type of ballast do i need? how many volts? does it matter what type of lights the ballast lights up? guess i will have to buy on line end caps- that the pc's plug into-home depot doesn't have them-or does anywhere else i would think.

home depot has electronic ballasts for 15 dollars but they dont have the four prong plug.  they just have the wires sticking out.  if you can get a 27 w bulb you can use the ballast from those five dollar circle flourescents from lights of america.  they have the right plug and everything.  you just have to remove the ballast from the center of the bulb.  you also have to lengthen the wires.

jeffsz,

i was able to get a 36W PC bulb working with a ballast i got for 5 bucks at home depot.  it was a 32W/40W GE Circline ballast that was on sale model 445-RS-WS-TC-B.  you might like to try this also.  it comes with a four-pin connector on the end but i clipped this off because the bulb i was using had four pins.

thanks - flaunt- hey how long ago did u buy the ballast? where did u get the end caps for your pc's at? email me back at- flusz@aol.com

Get that ballast from home deopot and then buy waterprooff end caps from hellolights.com they are only 12.00.  You NEED the water proof end caps, i almost burnd down my house last week when the home depot ones got wet

C. Jerome

jeff, i bought that ballast... probably a month ago now.  it was on clearance.  i probably should have gone and picked up one or two more while they had them.  i don't know if they still carry them or not.  i think i got the endcap from hellolights, the ones with the four pins in a straight line.  i don't actually have the ballast wired into the endcap as it is, because it was giving me problems.  i clipped each wire onto the bulb directly instead.

reef hugger

wouldn't it just be easier to buy a csl smartlite they are only $45. b/c by the time you buy the bulb $20-25, endcap $12 and ballast $5-15, you will have spent between $32-52 and you wouldn't even have a reflector. thats not including s/h also.

i don't know what you are planning on lighting. so i could be completely wrong. diy are not always cheaper. anyways just my 2 cents.

(Edited by joshnemily at 7:21 am on May 24, 2002)

Archived