Coral Vue Hydros

Host My Clownfish!

Guest LudavicoTechnique

To be honest with you, clowns don't need a host to be happy.  I got two false percs and they are as happy as can be with each other.  In fact, most tank-raised clowns will not take anything as a host.  They are really picky.  If you have to get an anemone, look up the host types for that particular species of clown.  Some anemonies will turn on the clown and consume it i.e. condylactis anemone (condy).  Anemones are really difficult to keep alive for any length of time.  Plus, if they do die on you, they can really do a number on the water quality of the tank, possibly even wipe everything out.  

Some clowns will, however, take to "anemone-like" corals as a host i.e. torch corals, hammer corals, etc.  Although this may make the clown happy, the corals tend to get irritated.  If your goal is to host the clown, this is the way to go.  

HTH,

Matt

Guest LudavicoTechnique

Thanks, I think I will just start with LR and 2 false percs, and slowly (as I can afford) add various corals.

Thanks Much

hi i just answerd your other question about condys

if you are interesed plz look at it

there is a pic of my alliard with my seba enmone

:flower2:

i just got two percula clowns for my 28 gallon and after about 4 days they took to my frogspawn.  i was pretty excited.  it looks soo cool watching them dip down into it.

Theres no guarentee that your clownfish will ever chose anything as a host, including an anemone.  Or they may chose something as un-natural as a powerhead or a certain section of aquarium glass.  

My false percula chose my green star polyps. My cousin has a rock anenome and a carpent has 3 differnet types of clownfish (percula, skunk, & Tomato) and  NONE of them use either of the anenome. It totally depends on the fish. sorry to break the news to you. Clarkii clowns are the most likely to take hosts. percula clowns tend not to. but either case it depends on the fish.

Joe

Archived