inTank Media Baskets

Refractometer

wdp67

Hey all

I am a homebrewer, and I have a refractometer that I use for measuring the S.G. or my wort, it reads in degree's brix. It is used to measure the amount of sugers in solution. I have a formula that is used to convert that to S.G. My question is will this work for measuring the S.G. of saltwater, or do I need to invest in a new one just for that?

Thanks

Walt

pretty sure they are on a different scale. Do you have access to a salt water refractometer or even a hydrometer? It would be pretty easy to check

I do have a hydrometer, how would I adjust my figure to have it come out right?

I found a math formula to convert brix to SG, and when I do the math my it comes out to 1.019, but it measures 1.023 with my hydrometer and also the local fish store measured it and it came out 1.023.

Just add .004 to my reading I guess?

Thanks

Walt

I just noticed you where from Ft. Collins, I used to spend quite of bit of time there when I was in gunsmith school. I kept my horse there and would go up on the weekends. My roomates grandad used to have a gun store there, their last name was Kitchens. Small world.

Hey all

I am a homebrewer, and I have a refractometer that I use for measuring the S.G. or my wort, it reads in degree's brix. It is used to measure the amount of sugers in solution. I have a formula that is used to convert that to S.G. My question is will this work for measuring the S.G. of saltwater, or do I need to invest in a new one just for that?

Thanks

Walt

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you... But, I'm a Homebrewer as well!!! B)

.004 off? By both? Maybe it just needs calibrated.

Fort Collins is a nice place, but I'm relatively new here. I moved down from the mountains, up by Vail, less than a year ago. But I'm liking it here so far.

Joel

Thanks Coolwaters,

David, when you finally do make the switch, you will not beleive the difference, I always liked my extract beers too, but there is a world of difference in both the look and taste of the all grain stuff I am doing now. Too bad all the fun stuff cost so friggin much!

Anyway thanks for everyones help, I will take my refractometer to the LFS and get them to help me with it.

Walt

Thanks Coolwaters,

David, when you finally do make the switch, you will not beleive the difference, I always liked my extract beers too, but there is a world of difference in both the look and taste of the all grain stuff I am doing now. Too bad all the fun stuff cost so friggin much!

Anyway thanks for everyones help, I will take my refractometer to the LFS and get them to help me with it.

Walt

I hear you... That's all I need... ANOTHER HOBBY TO TAKE MY MONEY!!! :o

Archived