Coral Vue Hydros

Cleaner lookin guilty of MURDER!!

sukeband

I was excited to buy my 1st fish for my tank. The clean up crew of some conchs, some red legged hermits, and a 2.5 in cleaner shrimp has been in my 12 gallon nano cube for about 2 weeks.

The tank has been stable with 7 pounds live sand, and 11 pounds live rock. I had it cycleing for 1.5 months.

So i picked up a small yellowtailed damsel at the store and acclimated him. (1st floated the bag for 20 mins then placed him in a glass bowl ans removed then added about a 1/4 cup of tank water every 5 minutes or so), then threw him in the tank. He was stressed for a bit but seemed to calm down after a couple of hours, lights off.

I went to sleep, and woke up to find the cleaner chowing down on his remains, poor guy.

Could the cleaner have taken him out? or could he have died because of my neglagence? I read that damsels are pretty hard to kill because of bad water parameters (which is why i chose him for my 1st fish) and my water has tested well, i think. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5, SG 1.24

The damsel was pretty small, about an inch.

harbingerofthefish

I would tend to agree with Beaker.

I had the same experience with my first fish. Acclimated a green clown goby for 3 hours or so (maybe overkill, but it was my first fish ever) Dropped him in. He spent most of the day light hours hiding were I could only see his tail from behind a rock.

In the morning the 3 crabs were enjoying the breakfast seafood buffet. Everyone I asked, thought that it was more likely that the fish croaked and the crabs enjoyed the carrion, rather than chasing the fish down.

Damsels are real hardy to water conditions. But since they are bred and handled i such large quantities, some may be more "fragile" than others. I know at my LFS, you alwys see a few dead damsels in a batch.

p.s. looking at your site...neat stuff. I can't believe you don't have an avatar ;)

Archived