Cultivated Reef

Using C-Balance?

ballerina

I just tested my water for alk and calcium for the first time.

Alk = 1.7 meq/L

Calcium = 380

I know you want an Alk of around 2.5 meq/L and a Calcium level of over 400. I just bought C-Balance as it was highly recommended. The directions are a bit vague on the bottle. Am I supposed to dose every single day? Dose until I reach the correct levels then stop?

Also where would I add the dose? I have the jbj 28g nano.

Thanks.

The Propagator

Unless you have a lot of LPS and SPS ( calcium demanding species ) Your calcium is absolutely fine between 380 and 420 ppm.

I am not familiar with C-balance but I think as long as you follow the directions for raising your alkalinity using their product you should be fine. You can dose one with out the other to raise either one if the other is with in range. Just don't dose them to closely together or mix them.

Generally you want to avoid raising your alkalinity by more then 3 points ( in DKH. I don't know what it is in meq/l ? I guess avoid more then 1.5 point raises? ) to avoid alkalinity burn and to avoid your PH from quickly dropping or raising to fast.

You will also want to purchase a reliable Magnesium test kit and make sure your magnesium is up to snuff.

It plays a vital role in the calcium / alkalinity balance and the way coral utilize both.

But yes dosing every day until the desired target is reached is the general way to go about it.

:)

Generally you want to avoid raising your alkalinity by more then 3 points ( in DKH. I don't know what it is in meq/l ? I guess avoid more then 1.5 point raises? ) to avoid alkalinity burn and to avoid your calcium from quickly dropping.

2 Questions big daddy:

1) I thought the reccomendation was not to raise Dkh by more that 1 point per day?

2) Why would Ca drop quickly?

As prop said it depends on what kind of corals you have.

I have a lot of SPS in my tank and dose with C-Balance. I add it directly to the tank as there is enough flow to mix it right away, but if you are lacking strong flow, the rear chamber is best.

On how much to dose, you have to play around with that. I dose about every other day, all depends on how often I do a water change since that effects calcium, my SPS just eats up the calc. You will have to dose about 1/4 capful to raise both in your size tank with those numbers, but test a few hours afterwards to gauge your change. It takes a few dosings to dial in how much you need to dose at a time, but once you get that in your head, you will have a good guide for the future.

so for now I should just raise my alk up? Why is alk so important? I thought alk was related to pH. I know you want a pH of about 8.2 or so. My pH is currently at 8.2 but my alk is pretty low, what gives?

so for now I should just raise my alk up? Why is alk so important? I thought alk was related to pH. I know you want a pH of about 8.2 or so. My pH is currently at 8.2 but my alk is pretty low, what gives?

1) You don't HAVE to have high alk to maintain Ph, but it helps. Ph is a function of Alk and O2 / CO2. If your tank is receiving a lot of fresh air it can still have a high Ph while alk is low.

2) What are you using to measure Ph? You really need a Ph probe to get the most accurate Ph measurement. Test kits give you a range, but not very precise regarless of what the card says.

my mag levels are at 1100. Should I dose to get to 1250? I have kents tech magnesium supplement.

DEFINITELY. Use the calculator others have provided and dose Mg BEFORE alk or Ca supplements.

The Propagator
2 Questions big daddy:

Sure thing little mama... :D

1) I thought the reccomendation was not to raise Dkh by more that 1 point per day?

Works fine for me by 3's max. As long as I drip it in

2) Why would Ca drop quickly?

I am positive I meant PH there but because it was like 5Am when I posted that EST I said CA.

Archived