Top Shelf Aquatics

Hydor FLO

FishHeaded

I've got two and I really like them. They have both been in service for two months in two different tanks and so far I've had no issues with them. I take them apart and clean them every month. They are very easy to service and work as advertised. Mine are on Maxijet 900's. Just check the flow requirements to make sure they will work with the 400's which I think they will.

Steve

I dont own any but i have heard after a while they will quit rotating from gunk built up inside then they never work right again., and I have also heard of people that have had no problems at all. Just thought I would pass along the info I have heard about them so its just my $.02

Casey

They are definately large. In fact they look goofy on the pump. My pumps nozzles stick out of the fuge so they look fine in my case but I do agree that if they are just on a pump stuck in your tank they will look goofy. I've heard the same arguments about flow and although I have no way to test flow, I can tell you that visually there is very little flow degradation. One solution might be to upgrade to the next larger maxijet to guarantee you have the same flow. If that 400 is in your 10 gallon you probably should upgrade anyway. I've also heard reviews from people that have had problems with them. I question whether they ever took them apart and cleaned them. There are only 4 or 5 parts to the entire unit and as long as you do maintenance I don't think you would ever have problems with it.

I question whether they ever took them apart and cleaned them. There are only 4 or 5 parts to the entire unit and as long as you do maintenance I don't think you would ever have problems with it.

Yeah I never considered that good point tho

i use three of them on my thirty gallon. i have them mounted on either side. one side has a dual output powerhead allowing for flow to my montis and my euphyllia in opposite directions. the other side same powerhead but only one "flo" and the other outlet left open for a rap around flow. they do alot better then the linear powerheads i was using. they do add turbulence into the tank when used with an overkill powerhead. make sure your powerhead is strong enough because they will cut down on your flow.

i say do it. its a cheap way to get some turbulence in the tank.

I've got the Hydor-Flo in my BC 29 and it does a great job! I have it attached to a Rio 6-hf powerhead. This combined with a Tunze 6025 creates the right flow mix I need for my SPS corals! As far as cleaning goes, 5 minutes to take it apart and clean it with a toothbrush.

I'm using one in my 12g NC and am very happy with it. I did need to upgrade my return pump (to a maxijet 1200) because the flow was reduced. It has stopped rotating every once in a while, usually because a snail or crab has gotten stick in it. It does come apart easily to clean though. I would recommend it.

Thanks guys for all the info. I decided to just leave it stock until I upgrade to a higher maxi, since 400s only produce 106gph which already isnt enough flow, and adding a hydor would reduce it. I think the nano koralia and the maxi400 will get the job done in my 10g.

I have had one for 2 years now in my 24G Nanopod. I love it. Though you do have to intermittently service it, it creates a nice variable flow inside my tank. It has now been covered with purple Coraline algae, so I think it looks kinda neat.

I used it on my 24g NC for a while. But it doesn't fit properly and keeps falling off. Half the time, when its on, it doesn't turn well. It goes good for a day and then falls off or stops turning.

I used it on my 24g NC for a while. But it doesn't fit properly and keeps falling off. Half the time, when its on, it doesn't turn well. It goes good for a day and then falls off or stops turning.

Try a little silicone tape. It works like a charm, you also need the adapter that came with it.

Mine kept blowing off too, but I just put a dab of super glue on it and that solved the problem. I just put a little bit so I can still take it off with a little twisting. I wouldn't go crazy with the glue though, because if it breaks you are screwed.

My Hydor Flo is crap...I clean it regularly every week & after a while it stopped working correctly. Now if I try using it, it rotates for a while & then sticks. I push on it, it starts to rotate for a while & sticks again. I've cleaned it regularly since I've had it & just recently tried soaking it in vinegar for 24 hrs & it still sticks. Guess I got a bad one, though it did work well for a while. Dunno why it stoped working as all the gears & parts are still fine & when I blow through it it spins. I tried turning my pump up & down & everything so dunno...I wouldn't recommend it from my personal experience.

I have a Rio 6HF in a 29g BioCube. I put a Y on the return at the top and added a little loc line to it and positioned the flo behind my rocks. It works great. It keeps the water moving back there plus it blows anything sitting on the sand out. So i don't have any detritus build up... on the other side of the y split I have the regular fan shaped outlet and it still puts out quite a bit of water.

Archived