Coral Vue Hydros

Proper way to paint a hood.

jtown

What's the proper layer order to paint a hood?  Also, what kind of paint should I go out and buy?  I'm thinking white on the inside and black on the outside ...

thanks again you guys.

stain or paint dosent matter but  when your done painting use polypropaline its a sealint that waterproofs it it works really well

i painted the inside of mine with gloss white rustolium (sp?)  and used a polypropaline on the outside.  should have pics up in the next few days....adding the lights tonight.

I used the same rustoleum on the inside.  You could also use marine paint if you want it to last forever.  I used this last time but the guy at HD told me to let it cure for at least two weeks before putting it over an open reef.  The exterior of my canopy's got two coats of polyurethane over the stain.  There's also a polyurethane made for outdoor applications if you're looking for super sealing/durability.

Also used DAP bathroom caulking on the inside joints to prevent water from getting in the cracks and causing warping.

I'd recommend painting the inside first, because you can sand off any drips, then do the outside, which is more critical as far as looks.

HTH

I think I have said this before but any type of a polyurathane paint will be great on any type of a water exposed surface the paint should not "flake" off from salt creep, cleaning, or any other abuse as long as it is prepped (sanded) properly and allowed to cure.

• 2 weeks later...

I have made many many many hoods as I have a service company in NY, and I have found the best thing to use is a GOOD quality hard wood, NO PINE ! and to seal it with POLYURATHANE after staining it with any NON PHENOL or KETOL based wood stain, as vapors may leach out into the water or salt accumulation. Any time you make a wooden hood BEWARE of salt. it WILL creep, IT WILL warp, and it WILL ruin a finish if not sealed properly.  As previously advised, paint the inside first, and I prefer LATEX over the sealant as it is harmless even if it peels. Also you should use a reflector in the hood, and NOT rely on the paint as a protectant for the hood. If you would like more info I can e mail pics and info.

hey dave!  the more info the better.

I currently have a hood in progress that is made out of solid red oak and the lid is oak plywood.  I think I would like the outside to be black and the inside white, but I'm not 100% sure about the black.

Could you tell me what I need to buy from home depot for both:

a. painted black on the outside/white on the inside

b. stained on the outside/white on the inside

???

thanks, I'd really appreciate it.  when I go to home depot, they always tell me to buy something different.  

TIA.

• 3 weeks later...

wow a solid red oak hood. you definitely have to stain it instead of painting it black. how much did you pay to build the hood. red oak is like $4 per foot.

Quote: from HuBu on 2:07 am on May 8, 2002[br]wow a solid red oak hood. you definitely have to stain it instead of painting it black. how much did you pay to build the hood. red oak is like $4 per foot.

it got expensive fast.  I think at least $60 and ya, I'm gonna stain it instead.

now I need to decide on a stain.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived