inTank Media Baskets

Fission Nano

10gallon

hi guys, I have 10 gallon running for 2 months now.

Currently i have juvenile percula clown and few zoas, mushrooms, toadstool, anthelia.

I'm looking for skimmer and come across to Current Fission Nano for $30 and question is it worth the money?

or do you have other option? would like to keep it below $100 for now.

Thanks.

Avoid the fission nano (too many bad reviews here). You do not need a skimmer if you keep up with weekly water changes.

+1 for your bioload weekly water changes is sufficient :D

-David

I ran fissions before, they are terrible, a rookie mistake. take the 30 bucks buy some salt and bucket and a heater for water changes, putting 2 powerheads in the bucket helps make the water changes go quicker.

I run 10 gallons as well, using macro algae and weeking water changes 10-20 percent is the way to go in my opinion.

I've got one I'd give you. Filled my tank with bubbles. And try as I may, I couldn't get it to fit in the back compartments of 24g AP. Attach a CO2 source to the air inlet and you could make your soda pop with this thing.

I've read a LOT of online reviews of this piece of equipment and the overall opinion is that it's poorly made overall.

That's really unfortunate because I read the reviews AFTER I ordered the unit. MORON. At least I only paid $20 for it. Maybe it'll end up being just a $20 powerhead.

I decided to damn the torpedoes and go with a Fission on my oceanic 14, madness I know but curiosity got the better of me and it still looked more efficient than the oceanic. I think I just ended up with a very cute little powerhead...Sigh!

I've read a LOT of online reviews of this piece of equipment and the overall opinion is that it's poorly made overall.

That's really unfortunate because I read the reviews AFTER I ordered the unit. MORON. At least I only paid $20 for it. Maybe it'll end up being just a $20 powerhead.

I did the exact same thing. MORON!

I finally set my biocube up...couldnt even fit the Fission anywhere in the damn tank, it just kept on falling apart! So..its a complete P.O S, sending it back, wont even bother with a skimmer for now...anybody had any luck modding a biocube 14 to use a HOB protein skimmer?????

I would love that info!

My Fission arrived this past Friday, and I went and picked up some LR from a friend who had some for sale. I have it all set up in a temporary tank for the moment until I get moved and set up the real tank.

I hooked the Fission up just now, and it actually has a more well-built feel to it than some say.

I assembled it fairly easily and installed it in my tank and it makes a surprising amount of suds (some of which DOES go back into your tank so this is a "SUMP ONLY" skimmer!!!!!!!).

I had to position the thing a LOT HIGHER than the instructions recommended or else I just filled the cup with clear water in under 15 seconds.

We'll see how this thing holds up in time. I don't mind the excess bubbles at all since I am going to use this in a sump.

The mini airline tubing makes me suspicious, btw. Looks too easy to clog.

And as said above, at the worst I may have paid $21 for a small powerhead with a cool venturi feature.

After running it for a few hours I am retracting my above statement that's it's "well built"---- While it does not have a cheap feel to it, the water exhaust is just plain poorly designed and results in a terrible amount of bubble leakage.

Now, I began modifying this thing (to the point that it's not returnable!) and I think I may be able to turn it into a decent skimmer, maybe.

Here's my $.02 after watching it for several hours.

1) The collection cup has a pathetically small capacity. It has a drip outlet but if this is a sump skimmer, there's nearly no way you can set up a reliable drip to remove it to a remote location with a larger container.

2) The foam riser is way too short---- you get WAY too many bubbles that are popping and spraying water up onto the lid of the collection cup, filling it up WAY too fast (keep in mind I started mine at the recommended water level and had to RAISE it up well over where the instructions indicate and the bubbles are still coming up too much in the foam riser). The problem is, if you try to glue on a piece of PVC pipe to make it taller, your collection cup's tiny size will prevent you from putting on the lid and also risk the foam flopping out into the tank.

3) The Exhaust is located in the wrong place. It needs to be located at the bottom for this model since there are no internal chambers to baffle the bubble abundance. But, I modified mine so that this was the case and #4 (below) raised it's ugly head.

4) The water column / skimmer body is way too short. After I modified mine so that the exhaust is at the bottom, there are still way too many bubbles released. Had #2 not been the real fatal flaw, adding another 3-4" height to this skimmer may well actually make it a good skimmer.

Oh well. now I have a $20 84gph powerhead.

Edit: grammar

Archived