SaltCritters.com

Snail habits

sdboogie

I got this Astrea that seems to be supported by the sand and still has a foot stuck to the glass, but hasn't moved in 4 days. Is he a goner or should I wait. I'm don't need another mini cycle. Pull it or leave it or do something I haven't thought of yet?

try the smell test!

I had a cerith snail that wouldn't move much for 5 days. it moved like within a 3 inch radius and was constantly sucked up all the way into it's shell. On the 6th day, I found an empty blue leg hermit crab shell next to it's shell and a nasty twisty snail carcuss that the hermit was munching on. Oh yeah, looked like the hermit got a home upgrade!

Also not sure but I think Astrea snails have a hard time moving through sand, they prefer rock and glass. So try moving it onto a rock. Also when they fall, they usually die as they can't right themselves up.

I personally do not like Astreas, they don't eat much and they are prone to falling and dying. I would ditch the Astreas, get some Cerith snails and some Trocus grazers!

Yeah, those Astrea snails don't seem to be that active. I got a Margarita snail to try out last week and that guy is an algae eating machine. But back to the stationary snail. If I take it out, how do I tell if it's alive or dead? Do I poke it or something?

Archived