Innovative Marine Aquariums

Water change question

sdboogie

I just did a round of testing and noticed my pH dropped from 8.2 to 8.0. So I am preparing to do a 20% water change. So I decided to test the pH of the batch of Salt Water that I had made earlier. It tested at 8.6. I tested the DI water without the salt and it was off the charts low. 7.0 I presume. Is it normal to have the DI + Marine Environment salt test at such a high pH? It will obviously help raise my pH to acceptable levels. I just started wondering what is in a cycled tank with crabs snails and a couple small shrooms that causes a drop in pH and would make my high water change pH ok. How does your changing water test out? Am I normal or should I be using something to buffer the solution?

Thanx!

Never mind. I just found a useful FAQ that answered all my questions. The FAQ is at Aquacraft.net/sf9907.html.

Sorry for the interuption.

Just a random note....when did you test your pH? pH does have a natural swing during the day as o2 and co2 levels fluctuate. That 8.0 could have just been a low o2 period. Your pH will not stay at 8.2 or 8.3 all the time.

Cameron

Can you tell me, how high was your KH? I also use ME salt, but i think i will switch it to Instant Ocean.

When i prepared water with ME, KH was 5 (on various test), and pH 8,6. I used ph /kh salifert buffer to rise KH (now it's stable -11 d.)

Archived