Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dosing magnesium

hazmat

I promise... you'll be OK. And tomorrow you'll wish you purchased your Mg supplements from bulkreefsupply once you realize how much it's gonna cost you in the end.

Wow Ben, you have waaaay more patience than me. I would've just told the guy to keep rockin' the Purple Up (aka crap in a bottle) with his bad self.

Yep! You're right. My Mg is less than 1200 now!! So here goes! And I really like that Bulk Reef Supply site. It gives great info and instructions on dosing!

The Propagator

Yeah man... I am a DIY supplement making fool now my self !

I buy every thing in bulk powder form now. You just save so much money doing it that way in the long run it isnt even funny. But you pay for convenience. So if you dont mind paying for a pre packaged deal then its all good. My self.. I am a cheap azz like no other ! LOL! Why do you think I grow all my own live stock I sell ? (Well that and there is that tiny fact about the massive relief it could give our natural reef slopes if we all did it... ;) )

You can even buy dechlorinater in bulk powder sold under another name for another purpose. I can't remember what name it is off the top of my head but I will find out for you fresh water guys. Its the same stuff Novaltek uses to mix and bottle their kordon brand dechlorinater.

Ther eis a coral green house up in Williamsburg Ohio that buys it and makes it up his self. Got the info from him. I'll have to Email him and find out the name and where to get it.

Brightwell says: each ml (or cc) of supliment will bring up 1US gallon of water up by 26ppm. so if I'm dosing 10 cc but it's a 34 gallon tank how does that calculate out to?

I dosed yesterday with 10cc and it didn't do squat to bring it up. It was 1200 today and 1200 yesterday.

Assuming your 34 gal tank contains 25 gallons of water. (if you know your tank exact water volume, substitute wherever I use 25 with that number).

to increase mg by 200ppm (from 1200 to 1400), given 1ml will raise 1 gal by 26ppm, it will take 25ml to raise your tank mg by 26ppm.

divide 200 by 26 = 7.7 times the dosage, or 7.7x25 =192.5 ml. is what you need to reach your target.

I think you can safely raise mg by 100ppm per day, so put in 100 ml day1, then test mg, you should see it go up approx 100ppm, then add the next 90 to 100 ml.

you can do 50ml per day over 4 days also.

adding 10ml will raise your tank mg by only 10x26/25 = 10.4 ppm, hardly noticeable with mg testing kit (salifert mg resolution is in 30 ppm increments, while red sea is in 20 ppm increments).

BTW, if we use the same numbers, but use KentM instead, which 1ml will raise 1gal by 18.4ppm (reef chemistry calculator use 18.4, but my kent m bottle says 18.3, we will use 18.4 so we can compare with chemistry calculator result).

using 25gal water

25 ml will raise your the tank mg by 18.4ppm.

to raise 200ppm, 200/18.4 = 10.87 dosage

10.87 * 25 = 271.75 ml.

chemistry calculator result says 270.4ml.

you can use this calculation method with anything you dose, like ca, alk, etc.

Thanks for that calculation!

I put in the entire bottle over 2 days. And tested out yesterday at 1320. I have to admit I was a little nervous putting in that much at first but you were right. No issues at all. Now I need to go get more since it looks like I still need to dose a bit more.

I'm all for convenience. I like it easy. go to LFS, pay, come home and pour in. Easy sneezy. I figure you have to start buying in bulk when you get bigger tanks. I'm already having a hard time finding a place to store all my fish paraphanaelia!

Archived