SaltCritters.com

28g Nanocube Skimmer Recommendation needed

Gadge

Hello all,

I am setting up my first Nanocube and would like to replace the stock Skimmer with something a little better. I have done some research on some that may fit on the back wall and i'd like to ask if anyone has any recommendations.

Some models I have looked at.

AquaC Nano Remora: Heard it worked well but the noise was pretty annoying. My setup is in a bedroom and I'd rather try and keep the hissing to a minimum.

Aquamedic Turboflotor 1000 - Reviews say this is a nice skimmer but I am not sure if it will fit in the center chamber on the back of the Nanocube.

Tunze 9002 - Read this works well but the craftsmanship leaves a bit to be desired.

Berlin X2 - Haven't found any reviews on this one but it looks like a decent skimmer that may fit on the back of the tank.

I'm leaning towards the Turboflotor or the Berlin X2. Has anyone had any experience with these on a Nanocube? Are they overkill for a tank this size? Or do I deal with the stock air driven skimmer that comes with it?

Thanks for any recommendations you have. I look forward to meeting you all.

Tom

Upon further research I think i'll go with the Deltec MCE600 HOB. Looks to be the best in class and the size is perfect. The added chambers are a bonus as well.

Cheers

I have the NC28g HQI.

I had the Tunze in it and it worked OK; but the fact that the cup does not sit flush limited its effectiveness.

I now have a Warner Marine H1. It fits as it hangs on the back. You would just have to trim the lip of the back of the tank. I think the H1 is a MUCH more substantial and effective skimmer.

But if you are putting it in your bedroom, the skimmer might be too loud. The air intake is somewhat loud.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long to reply. Finally got the Deltec in and installed. Had to cut back the inlet and outlet tubes a bit to allow it to fit behind the lid, but that was the only modification required. She's up and running, though still in it's break-in period. Here's some images to peruse.

Take care, all.

G

post-38999-1223986033_thumb.jpg

post-38999-1223986041_thumb.jpg

post-38999-1223986046_thumb.jpg

post-38999-1223986050_thumb.jpg

post-38999-1223986054_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry it took so long to reply. Finally got the Deltec in and installed. Had to cut back the inlet and outlet tubes a bit to allow it to fit behind the lid, but that was the only modification required. She's up and running, though still in it's break-in period. Here's some images to peruse.

Take care, all.

G

How quiet is the Deltec? How does its noise level compare to the stock JBJ skimmer?

The skimmer is amazingly quiet. There is a light hum from the pump inside that's barely noticeable and the air intake isn't very loud but still noticeable. I took the small tube from the air stone off the stock skimmer and slipped it into the intake valve to muffle what little hiss there was. Worked like a charm. You can also leave the air stone on to help reduce the noise even more, but I found I didn't need to.

The Deltec MCE 300 might have been a better choice for a nano as it's a bit smaller than this one, but the intake/outlets on this are aligned just right, and at the very least I have a skimmer large enough for a much bigger tank when I upgrade. I'm very happy with this one and how it turned out.

G

Archived