Pod Your Reef

What to test for?

burnofvengeance

burnofvengeance

I'm getting a new water testing kit and I've been looking at the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Reef Master test kit. It includes tests for: calcium, carbonate hardness, phosphate, and nitrate. Do I need to test for anything else?

Here's a list of the corals I have:

zoanthid colonies

mushrooms

open brain

bubble coral

frogspawn

candy cane

I'm getting a new water testing kit and I've been looking at the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Reef Master test kit. It includes tests for: calcium, carbonate hardness, phosphate, and nitrate. Do I need to test for anything else?

Here's a list of the corals I have:

zoanthid colonies

mushrooms

open brain

bubble coral

frogspawn

candy cane

i am still learning about which test kits i need, but i will assure you that you need ammonia and nitrite and ph. Ammonia is a huge one, it should always be at 0, if it goes up, obviously something is dead in your tank and you need to remove it.

pH

Ammonia

Nitrite

If you get both the API Saltwater Master Test Kit and the Reef Master Test Kit you should be covered.

(Get them online, they are about half as much as in the stores)

burnofvengeance

haha. Thanks guys. Stupid me forgot to mention that I have a the api saltwater test kit thats about half way through it, so I already have ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph.

Definately agree with the price thing though, Dr.s F & S is the best way to go for supplies, that I've found anyway.

Once your tanks is established and you have your husbandry skills honed in you really don't need to worry about Amonia or nitrite. I don't even test for those anymore. IMO the big 3 to test for are Mg, Alk, and Ca. You should prolly also test for Phosphate and Nitrate.

Archived