Top Shelf Aquatics

Chiller in the Cabinet

LebaneseDlight

LebaneseDlight

Hey guys and gals!

After a 4 year hiatus, I have ventured back into this expensive hobby. This time around, I'm doing it on the smaller side (but it's costing much more to do it right!). I have started cycling a Solana Cube - running it with Sunpod 250w. This will be a Seahorse (H. Reidi) and compatible corals tank, and of course, I have purchased a chiller - AquaEuroUSA 1/10 HP.

My question for this topic (and also my first post on N-R, but have been browsing and pretty much reading EVERYTHING in the archives for weeks):

If I removed the glass on the Solana cabinet and replaced with a sheer/breathable fabric, could I house the chiller in the cabinet? I really like the stream-lined look of the AIO aquarium, and would really like to hide the chiller.

This is probably wishful thinking, but do you think I can put the ballast for the sunpod in the cabinet as well?

post-38936-1221764057_thumb.jpg

With fabric you might be able to get away with the chiller in the cabniet.

You would also need to remove or cut out a section in the back as well to vent the hot exhaust air from the chiller as well. You can pretty much do whatever you want with the chiller but the life span of the chiller may be shortened by not allowing it full access to fresh air and venting the hot air.

^^^^^^^^Agreed, and WELCOME!

Another tip, dill a few small holes beneath the chiller in the floor board to allow more air in and out. They also tend to release heat from below where a few vents are located so this will allow that air to move out of the stand quicker.

LebaneseDlight

Great - thanks for the feedback :D . Drilling holes in the cabinet floor is a great idea - i don't think it will impact the intergrity of the stand (which is important, as the stand doesnt seem overly sturdy). I wish there was a way to program a fan to go off when the chiller is powered on (I'm sure ACjr would do it, but not in the budget right now!) - I can mount it in the cabinet to help circulate air. In the meantime, removing the glass and drilling holes in the cabinet should do it. JBJ HQI Stand allows for a chiller in the cabinet, and from the looks of the pictures online, only thing it has a few "gills" on the sides of the cabinet to allow for some cross-ventilation...

Archived