SaltCritters.com

Setup of Aquacontroller vs. reefkeeper

tex5620

I am in the market for a controller for my tank. I wish to controller everything ffom pH, temp, lights, etc. I have been looking at info on both and can't decide. Plus I like to think I have decent common sense and would like to know if I have to have a special degree just to program one of these. right now I just have a bc29 and plan on adding a 140gallon mix to the house so what appropriate units would I need.

I am in the market for a controller for my tank. I wish to controller everything ffom pH, temp, lights, etc. I have been looking at info on both and can't decide. Plus I like to think I have decent common sense and would like to know if I have to have a special degree just to program one of these. right now I just have a bc29 and plan on adding a 140gallon mix to the house so what appropriate units would I need.

Ok. So. You are not going to control pH per say but you can monitor it. I am going to assume you mean you want to monitor it.

I own and have used both the Aquacontroller III Pro and the Reef Keeper Elite controllers. They are similar in terms of what they can and can't do and how they control and monitor things but the programming for each is different.

With the AC series you can program it via your PC and it is very much like a scripting language. For example you define a item: MHL$ (Metal Halide light) and then you program timers to control the device like this:

If Temp > 83 Then MHL$ OFF

If Time > 08:00 Then MHL$ ON

If Time > 12:59 Then MHL$ OFF

If Time > 15:30 Then MHL$ ON

If Time > 21:00 Then MHL$ OFF

What this does is if the tank is hotter than 83 degrees then turn off the metal halide light until the temp gets below 83 degrees. And it turns the MH on at 8 am runs it until 1 pm then turns it off for 2 1/2 hours (hottest part of the day) then turns it back on until 9 pm.

The RKE is, at this point, menu driven and you have to code in each function but it is also based on timers and devices. They will be coming out with a ethernet module and you will be able to program it from a PC but that isn't due until after Christmas.

From a price performance standpoint right now the RKE is the better buy in terms of features vs. cost. The AC is a more proven product though.

Neither one requires you to be a programmer to use it. You can download the manuals for the AC at www.neptunesys.com and the RKE at www.digitalaquatics.com

Thanks alot. I am leaning towards the elite but will probably wait till after christmas anyway. Just so they can get the bugs out and everything is running smpoothly. Tank is running great now so this would be just something to fiddle with. I hear that once u go controller u never go back so I want to make sure I pick the right one since it will cost 500$+. If anybody has anything to add it would be greatly appreciated.

Most of the bugs are out of the RKE as of release 1.05. I am running my system on it now. I switched it over from the ACIII Pro because I liked the engineering and design better. It has a better flow in terms of equipment and cables plus control is allot better (I can control individual power outlets from the controller head or the power strip itself). So there isn't any real reason to wait. And for $500 you get pretty much everything you need except for the Ethernet which isn't due until after Christmas and will be most likely another $100. Sigh. That is one thing I like about the AC... It comes with built in ethernet...

UH: Thanks for the detailed overview and experience with product. Just checked on the Marine Depot web site, and it has a review from a very unhappy customer. He says the unit comes with no real instructions and Digital Aquatics was not really helpful. Is this true or just sour grapes?

Since I'm new to reefing, I can use all the instructions I can get. Am dealing with the same lack of instructions on my new CAD 39g Pro.

Does the RKE come with useful instructions? If not, is it fairly straightforward to setup? How does the instructions/ease of use/customer service compare with the AC III Pro?

Thanks.

Archived