Pod Your Reef

Who has your chiller managed by a "controller"

trojandds

I've been trying to do some research, from the instructions with my AC Jr it says to have my chiller turn on at 77, off at 76.5 degrees.

My question is, isnt that degree differential rather low? Like wont it be detrimental to the compressor of my chiller to have to turn on and off in such a short amount of time? Right now I have my chiller turn on at 78, off at 76.5 in hopes to have my chiller run for at least 5mins and 5 mins off.

thanks!

Depends on how big your tank is, how much volume of water your chiller can process, and your ambient temperature.

In general, water cools much slower than air. So a 1 degree difference in water temperature in a room that is already climatically controlled, with a tank that is over 75 gallons... then it is very little.

If, however, your room swings dramatically in temperature and you have a lower volume of water, then, yes... your chiller will have a lot of work to do.

-T

I've been trying to do some research, from the instructions with my AC Jr it says to have my chiller turn on at 77, off at 76.5 degrees.

My question is, isnt that degree differential rather low? Like wont it be detrimental to the compressor of my chiller to have to turn on and off in such a short amount of time? Right now I have my chiller turn on at 78, off at 76.5 in hopes to have my chiller run for at least 5mins and 5 mins off.

thanks!

my room temperature is roughly 78-80...and living in downtown LA our temps do change pretty drastically.

The tank is a 24g NC, the chiller is a 1/10hp with a Maxi-Jet 1200

It really depends on how big the swing is on the inside, not the outside, of the tank's home.

Here in Austin... we have radical changes too. But as long as the indoor temps stay within the same range you are talking, your chiller will be MORE than fine.

If you start hating your chiller, I'll gladly pay the shipping to get it out of your house! ;)

congrats on a good one...

-t

my room temperature is roughly 78-80...and living in downtown LA our temps do change pretty drastically.

The tank is a 24g NC, the chiller is a 1/10hp with a Maxi-Jet 1200

The ACjr instructions don't say to run it like that. They just say that as an example for programming referance. :rolleyes: You gotta read the manual carefully. I have an ACjr. myself and a chiller, and for my programing I have a fan come on at 81.3F, and then my chiller will kick on at 81.7F I do this so in case the temp rises a tenth of a degree or two before the fan starts brining the temp down, the chiller still won't kick on unless the temp absolutely won't be brought down by a fan alone. Then I have the chiller set to turn off at 80.5F and the fan at 80.0F And then my heater is set to come on at 77F and off at I think 78.5 F... I keep the temp knob on the heater itself turned to like 83 or 85 to be sure it will turn on when the ACjr allows it, and the chiller dial I have set to between 78 and 79F for the same purpose.

what does this do? run for 5 minutes?

yah, after the "off" command is triggered, I think the unit will have to run for at least 5 mins past that time.

...or so the manual states, i havent tried it yet, will do so in an hour or so and hopefully have a report for you all is dovla doesnt respond to this thread

No.

Max Change 005 M Then COL OFF forces chiller to be at least 5 minutes OFF before it can turn on.

To force chiller to remain ON at least 5 minutes would be: Max Change 005 M Then COL ON

Neptune’s MAX command is confusing; to me it would be logical if they call it MIN instead of MAX.

You might like to read manual :)

No.

Max Change 005 M Then COL OFF forces chiller to be at least 5 minutes OFF before it can turn on.

To force chiller to remain ON at least 5 minutes would be: Max Change 005 M Then COL ON

Neptune’s MAX command is confusing; to me it would be logical if they call it MIN instead of MAX.

You might like to read manual :)

haha my bad, yah your right...

Archived