Pod Your Reef

Too Much Space (For Lights)

TheCarbonPenguin

TheCarbonPenguin

Hello everyone! I have had some past experience keeping reefs but took mine down because I was at camp all summer and no one could care for my fish. :( They moved to a friend's tank so I will be able to get them back. Recently someone offered me a whole stand and canopy setup they had for their 10 gallon tank, so I was like "Yes Please!" and took it. The only thing is that the canopy is like 8-10" tall (Can't find my stupid measuring tape!) and so I would like to know how that will affect the intensity of like a standard lighting kit (i.e. 36watt) I'm thinkin the PowerQuad 96 watt Smart Lite would probably work best. The only other hting is that I live in South Florida sooo its hot here and then my room gets a/c'd at nite so you think i would probably need a heater and chiller?

Thanks Everyone

This place rocks.

Mike

Actually, the added height in the canopy will allow you to run fans on the side to cool your PC system. Maybe 1 3" fan on on side or 1 3" fan on both sides would be best IMO. I'd also run the 96w PowerQuad (I tihnk it'll fit).

Cameron

I run the 96w power quad, good light, but does overhead the tank, I would suggest a 70w MH with a small actinic light, if you do get the 96w power quad to fit it will be a very tight fit, unless you went retrofit, then it'd have and inch or so on both sides.

Good luck, if it gets too hot run a small fan on the surface of the water.

Archived