inTank Media Baskets

stup without natural filtration?

dwhite_2006

i am most likely going to set up a fowlr tank, but how would someone go about setting up a tank without using natural filtration (ie: with out liverock or live sand) and what equip. would be needed?

just wonderin

thanks

-daniel

Well, in all my reefs I use fully natural filtration. On my nano I have a Aquaclear 150 hang on with no media. All it does is give my tank the circulation I need for it. On my 150 system I use rubbermaid sumps with bubble traps. That's it....no filters. I would use live sand and live rock but other than that good circulation and a water surface skimmer (like the overflow box to a sump setup my 150 system has) would really be all you need IMO.

Cameron

thankx phish1.

but is a skimmer and good circulation all i would need in a tank WITHOUT ls or lr?

where would bacteria live, in order to break stuff down?

get a hob wet/dry filter (e.g. penguin, tetra-tec, etc.). a fluidized bed filter is another kewl looking option but i prefer having some kind of mechanical & chemical filtration as well as biological. hth

Why dont you want LS/LR, you can get 'regular' or 'dead' sand and sprinkle it with 2-3lbs of live sand and the whole mess will turn live in a short period of time, same with LR. if its a money problem, Look into this.

Originally posted by dwhite_2006

thankx phish1.  

but is a skimmer and good circulation all i would need in a tank WITHOUT ls or lr?

where would bacteria live, in order to break stuff down?

Sorry bout that....I totally misread the question:*(.

Tinyreef is right about the filter for a non rock and sand tank.

Cameron

Originally posted by tinyreef

get a hob wet/dry filter (e.g. penguin, tetra-tec, etc.).  a fluidized bed filter is another kewl looking option but i prefer having some kind of mechanical & chemical filtration as well as biological. hth

Yeah, what he said ;)

I have a 10g tank like this setup with just a HOB filter and nothing else, not even sand.

$_$

There is a part of fish husbandry you may of overlooked. Providing the fish with a suitable home. Proper hiding places, a feeling of safety is important. Don't be selfish. If you cannot afford a proper substrate than you cannot afford a SW tank. I'm also curious as to what fish you plan on keeping?

zizmans, i am not going to be doing this type of setup. I was only wanting to know how people are able to have fish only tanks without lr and ls.

Well, if its a 20L, you could make it an aggressive/predator tank and maybe keep a Fuzzy Lion, all you need is DSB and a 5lbs rock or so and that would be ok...

You don't even need substrate.

~_~, please tell me you don't keep your fish like this. This is extremly cruel. It is like living in a room of mirrors. It will drive them nuts! If you want a drogonet or a wrasse or goby, the cannot survive without sand to forage, sleep, or feel protected. put at leats an inch or more of sand on the bottom.

Archived