Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Proper Magnesium level

hazmat

I've searched and I see many different values. I finally got a Mg test kit and it's testing out at 1200. I was wondering if it might be the reason I can't get my ALK up past 7.

So what is the optimum level and what do you dose with?

Thanks!!

You want the Mg level to be 3x's the Ca level. So, if your tank is reading 400 for ca, then 1200 for Mg is okay. However, I have been keeping the Mg level in my tank at about 1425 lately, and Ca at 420 and have had very good results.

Thanks for the replies. My calcium is pretty stable between 420-440. My alk is troublesome at 7 even with dosing so someone suggested my Mg might be low.

Does Mg suppliment come just like Ca and ALK?

I buy my Mg supplement from www.bulkreefsupply.com. I think you'll find it's much cheaper than the stuff you'll find at your LFS.

Here is an article that describes the recipies found there.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

It usually takes A LOT of Mg supplement to raise your levels. Don't be surprised when it says you need to dose 1/2 gallon. (prolly won't take that much, but it will be a lot)

I have used Kent Tech-M with good results. Indeed, to raise it takes a lot more volume than Ca or Alk dosing but once you get it to where you want, I've found it pretty stable thereafter. I forget the whole chemistry lecture behind it but the gist was that it is not consumed rapidly by a tank, but instead supports stability for Alk and Ca. I last dosed Mag like a month ago (vs. Ca and Alk daily) and have been solid at 1,450 ever since. Beware of the chemistry calculator recommendations as I overshot mine to 1,500+ when I dosed the recommended amount. Raise it over a couple of doses/days to be safe. My Acans are much happier at the higher Mag level.

FWIW, I use epsom salt to raise my magnesium. I mix 1 part epsom salt to 1 part FW. 1/2 - 1 cup for my 10 gallon seems to raise it about 100. Epsom Salt is cheap just be sure to watch your salinity. I wouldn't raise it more than 100 per day. Hope this helps.

Steve

OOO just read Bdare's article. It has all the information on epsom salts to raise magnesium. Maybe I need to be testing for sulfates.

FWIW, I use epsom salt to raise my magnesium. I mix 1 part epsom salt to 1 part FW. 1/2 - 1 cup for my 10 gallon seems to raise it about 100. Epsom Salt is cheap just be sure to watch your salinity. I wouldn't raise it more than 100 per day. Hope this helps.

Steve

Epsom salt is a fine choice for raising Mg, but be aware if used on a constant basis can cause an ioinic imbalance. This is why Randy Holmes-Farley suggests using Mg Sulfate and Mg Chloride for dosing Mg.

Hehe... just saw your edit! Now you smell what I'm stepping in!

Ben (bdare) is the man when it comes to water chemistry. You can count on any advice he gives you to be correct.

Hey Ben, PM me about which frags you wanted again. I want to wait atleast another week, but I should be able to hook you up. thread jacking over.

Archived