SaltCritters.com

WTF? Splinters?

Beaker

Ok, I've had my nano running for about 2.5 months now. Everytime I'm messing around in the tank my hands feel like I have 3-4 spinters in them when I'm done. Like today, I just did a water change and it happend again. It's like something stung me and left a tiny stinger in. I haven't even brushed up against a coral or even LR when it happens. I have a frogspawn and some GSP, what could be causing this? Any of you have this happen? Just curious because it's annoying me, guess I can get some gloves. Thanks for the input!

?

(I hope thats a good enough reply.........................................)

No, I've never heard of that, I could only imagine how irritating that could be........ Hey, I got an idea, when your frogspawn is open and the sweepers are out rub 'em and see if it feels comporable :)

no thats a bad idea.....

Actually Phish funny you should say that, I thought about doing that just to be sure. I've never seen the sweepers though. I even tried sneaking up on the tank at night with a flashlight. If I do try it, I'll let you know!

??? What are you hoping to accomplish with that? Do you plan on finding and getting rid of the irritant? Keep you hands out if you can. Many of these animals contain toxins; you might be more sensitive, to one of these, than other people. I wouldn’t advise performing such a test.

I don’t understand how could you be ‘messing around in the tank’ and not touch LR or coral? It might be the salt getting into tiny cracks in your skin.

There are lots of bacteria in an aquarium, so wash your hands thoroughly whenever you touch tank water. Good luck.

peppermint22

Must be bristleworms. Check the spot where it stings and see if u can find tiny, white bristles. I just pulled one out of my thumb today. Will be wearing gloves the next time I put my hand in.

Tiny, you're right it does have that fiberglass feel. I know I have bristleworms, but would it happen by just siphoning in the water column w/o direct contact? Thanks for the help guys.

Maybe to be safe just get some gloves, who knows what could be in your water thats causing that effect on you? Every time I had my hand in the water to move things around, clean, water change or what ever, it seemed like the next morning my hands and wrists would fill really stiff. My hands would hurt to the point where I could not make a completely tight fist. I bought gloves and the problem has gone away, so it had to be touching the tank water that was causing it, at the time I only had LR, LS, a Hammer coral and some shrooms and GSP. Has any one else experienced stiff hands from putting hands in tank?

Fuentes925

Getting gloves would be a good idea, but touching everything that could sting you istn (unless you are bored) I was just kidding, but I did have an electric catfish (african) that could shock pretty well, I liked to touch his wilkers/shockers when I was bored because I was 12..... I did that till he bit me once... man did that fish have teeth.....

I lear lessons very slowly, like 'dont push the red button' and 'dont put that in your mouth' (in my younger days) and the best of all when I was four " Ohh, my GOD....... How did you get it on the wall!!!!!)

I lear lessons very slowly, like 'dont push the red button' and 'dont put that in your mouth' (in my younger days) ...
:D

i tried to startup the house by sticking my mom's car keys into an electrical outlet. :o keys melted and i was officially labeled 'lucky'.

another time i broke apart my mom's necklace and stuck a pearl in my nose. X) after the trip to the ER i was then officially labeled 'special'. :|

LOL :D

one time my aunt was playing hungry hungry hippoes with me and she told me the little multicolored 'balls' tasted good, after she returned from the bathroom she found me choking on a hippo-ball, and then I was also labeled 'lucky'

But the house one is classic.

LMAO - Tiny that was funny. I am curious what you were going for with the pearl though....I understood the mission with the keys, but the pearl has me guessing.....thus the "Special" label I guess.

Oh yes - Beaker - why not use some forceps or something while working in the tank? Hate to see you leave the hobby cause you get a bad infection or worse.

Does anyone use gloves in the tank and if so what kind?

I'm using regular dishwashing gloves, because I ran into the same problem (fiberglassy feeling on my hands after working in the tank).

They tend to fill up with water, though, even with tight rubberbands around my wrists to prevent this.

I'll be investing into an armlength pair soon!

Siskiou

I have the same experience almost every time I work in my tank. Its very annoying, I'm not sure what causes it, but I do have one bristleworm.

I'll feel some pain, look at my fingertips and find a few fiber-glass like splinters that I can't pull out. The splinters would disappear after a few hours, initially, I thought they might be some crystalline spines on the LR. I don't know, it would be interesting to find out.

Vince, I've heard of that too. It's not it though because it doesn't happen every time and you can feel the splinter for at least a couple hours after. When I originally posted I still felt the splinters the next day.

Archived