Top Shelf Aquatics

70 watt MH on Eclipse 6

bamann345

Well, I am gathering the different things I need to put a 70 watt MH on my Eclipse 6. I just have a couple different questions.

Here is my plan: I have an electronic ballast and I am planning on running the USHIO 10000k bulb plus 2x13 watt actinics. I am going to have two 2" fans in the canopy, 1 pushing and 1 pulling air through the bulb area.

This is where I need help. I dont want the bulb to be 10" above the tank....just dont like that look. I was thinking more around 6-7". Will I have a heat issue? The room the tank is in stays around 70 degress all the time.

I am going to try and raise the canopy using the corallife raisers for their products. Does anyone have a closeup they can take of these so I can see if they would work?

I know that I need a UV shield and all that good other stuff. These were the only things I was still wonderinf about. Check out http://www.nano-reef.com/bamann345/IMG_0936.jpg for some "plans" of what I am going to try and build.

Thanks for the help!

William

I had a 55g tank with two 175w bulbs that were 7inches off the surface of the water. I never had a problem with it. I had an open back and two four inch fans on it, so it was plenty cool.

Though the heat put off by a 70 isnt as much as a 175 to be sure, they still put off a good amount of heat and this could be an issue on a tank as small as a 6 gallon. Since youll be installing fans you should be okay though.....

Archived