Pod Your Reef

angelacbishop's 5.5 gallons of fun

angelacbishop

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
angelacbishop
your tank looks awesome Goodluck with the contest! What does the winner get?

Thanks! The winner gets a gift certificate (not sure how much?) to a NR sponser. By the way, it looks like your 5.5 is off to a nice start!

angelacbishop

Well in interest of stirring up the water surface a little better I decided to break down and pull the koralia nano out of my tank at home, clean it up, and put it in my contest tank. The minijet 606 just wasn't creating as much turbulance as I would have liked. The used value is $14.99 so it's just under the wire and doesn't have to be included in the budget. Woo!

This pump works so much better and even though it's 240 GPH vs. the 160 GPH that I took out, it's not creating any problems since it's a softer, more spread out flow. Being able to adjust the angle of the flow really helps a lot too.

No pics...gotta save them for the end of the contest which is only a little over 2 weeks away! :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...
angelacbishop

FINAL CONTEST SUBMISSION

So this is it! I'm so excited to see how everyone's tanks turned out in the end. Without futher ado:

Previous Tank Pictures

9/16/08

sept004.jpg

9/24/08

100_2083.jpg

10/16/08

100_2134.jpg

11/13/08

5511-12016.jpg

12/17/08

5512-17002.jpg

1/16/08

551-16027.jpg

2/17/08

2-17025.jpg

Photos from Today

FTS:

3-16-09finalcontestpictures2002.jpg

View from the left side, this is what I can see from where I sit the most at my desk:

3-16-09015.jpg

Top down shot. The acro burnt a little spot on the monti cap but it’s slowly coming back to life in that spot:

3-16-09finalcontestpictures2010.jpg

The blue cloves have grown like crazy and spread all over to different parts of the tank:

3-16-09004.jpg

These zoas have grown extremely well! Started with just a few polyps:

3-16-09finalcontestpictures2012.jpg

Here’s a progression of the green acro. Not only has it pretty much tripled in size, but it also went through a phase where it browned out and has since colored back up:

acrogrowthprogression.jpg

Summary

The timing for this contest worked out perfectly for me. I had just decided to take down the guppy bowl on my desk at work and put up a little saltwater tank. I had originally planned to use the 3 gallon picotope w/ 12” PC fixture that is so popular but soon realized that the 5.5 gallon with T5 lights would be cheaper, more stable, and capable of growing a larger selection of corals. So I ordered my light fixture and behold…the next day the contest was announced!

I had decided this was going to be a mostly gorgonian tank with various macro algae’s intermixed. While I do still have a couple gorgonians and macros, I’ve adjusted my stocking to what does best in this tank. SPS and leathers seem to love the high flow and intense lighting so that’s what is dominating my coral selection now. Really the only thing I wish I would have done differently would be to nail down my coral selection sooner as to allow the frags even more time to grow out. Once the contest is over, I have a few additions planned. I want to add a couple cool inverts (maybe a pom-pom crab and a pistol shrimp) and a few more frags that I ran out of budget for.

I have really enjoyed having this little tank on my desk at work and it’s been a great conversation piece for my co-workers and visitors. My boss calls the the peppermint shrimp “that tiny red lobster”…gotta love that! Sitting in front of it for 40 hours a week has made for many opportunities to closely observe.

Final Budget, $1.02 to spare!

Item From Value details

Top Fin 60 Filter already had $22.49 already had, originally $29.99 from petsmart

Nova Extreme 18" T5 DFS $62.99

Koralia Nano already had free originally $19.99 from Marine Depot, value $14.99

5.5 gallon AGA already had free

magnet cleaner already had free

glass tops already had free

timer already had free

fuge light already had free

8 lbs live rock already had free

8 lbs live sand already had free

Pico CUC from Reefcleaners Reefcleaners free

1 hermit LFS $1.00

1 green striped mushroom hitchhiker $5.00

wild caught mystery anemone already had $5.00 http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=160198&hl=

yellow fiji leather, quarter sized already had $15.00

Nano Spiny Orange Sea Rod Gorgonian Sea Life Inc $9.50

Masked Goby Sea Life Inc $7.50

Hi-Fin Goby LFS $10.00

peppermint shrimp Sea Life Inc $5.50

Purple Sea Feather (1/3 of 15.00 piece) Sea Life Inc $5.00

small gorg frag already had $5.00

22 misc. zoa polyps already had $22.00

titan macro algae NR Classifieds $5.00 http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=172014&hl=

orange zoas LFS $10.00

finger leather LFS $10.00

neon green leather LFS $5.00

orange monti cap local reefer $8.00

blue cloves local reefer $15.00

small green acro frag already had $5.00

birdsnest, pocillapora, digi, green kenya local reefer $15.00

TOTAL $248.98

The tank looks amazing Good luck with your tank in the contest :)

Thanks! The winner gets a gift certificate (not sure how much?) to a NR sponser. By the way, it looks like your 5.5 is off to a nice start!

Thank you, you should see it now, way different lol

angelacbishop
The tank looks amazing Good luck with your tank in the contest :)

Thank you, you should see it now, way different lol

Thanks! Off to check out your tank thread now :)

You have really done a lot for this low budget tank. You can tell how healthy it is by the growth. Great work! Good Luck! This tank also gets the Sponge Bob Thumbs Up Award!

200703130248.jpg

angelacbishop
wow your tank looks great

Thanks, can't wait to see your final photos. You still had quite a bit of budget left last time you posted so I bet you've got some cool new additions now!

angelacbishop
that looks amazing! that acro really took off

Yeah actually I was a little shocked myself when I was putting together the growth progression. Funny thing is that the first couple months I didn't think it was doing well since it was browning out so I almost removed it. Now it's one of my favorite pieces since you can practically see the growth daily.

Needreefunds
Blue cloves all around! Seriously though, it's getting close to being warm enough to safely ship stuff :lol:

Yes please, Kthanks.

:lol:

You got my vote!

Oh and I'd love to get some of those blue cloves if you feel like sharing. :flower:

Also the gorgs are very impressive especially in a 5.5. I've never had much luck with them so I've given up trying because they all just end up dead anyway.

angelacbishop
You got my vote!

Oh and I'd love to get some of those blue cloves if you feel like sharing. :flower:

Also the gorgs are very impressive especially in a 5.5. I've never had much luck with them so I've given up trying because they all just end up dead anyway.

Thanks for the vote. It was a close race! I plan to eventually put some blue clove frags up in the selling forum. Keep an eye out!

• 3 weeks later...
angelacbishop

Update time! Now that there's no budget to stick to I'd added some more fun things:

Candy Stripe Pistol which has paired up with the hi-fin goby. She's been carrying eggs since I got her a week ago.

554-8001.jpg

Here's the hi-fin goby hanging out in the freshly dug home she shares with the pistol shrimp. Got a little cyano issue going on in that corner...stepping water changes up to 2x a week until it's gone.

554-8004.jpg

One tiny eye of Christmas favia (red centers with green around them) and zoas that have orange skirts and speckley pink centers

554-8005.jpg

Bright orange & purple "Halloween" Yuma.

554-8007.jpg

Archived