Pod Your Reef

Q for a 10G or 15G SW set-up

pcdawg

I have two tanks available to setup a SW tank.

Its either a 10g or a 15G which i can use.

With a 10G can i have one PJ Cardinal and one Perc. Clown??

How about with a 15G can i have one PJ Card. and 2 Perc Clowns? or is 1 perc. clown and 2 PJ Cards. better?

The tank will have LR and LS set-up with a AC200 on the 10G and the 15G uses the eclipse 12 filtration system. I also will be attaching a protein skimmer to either if neccesary.

Also for placement of LR....do i have to fill it up from the back of the tank to the middle ?? or is it better to leave some space and place the rocks in the middle of the tank where fishes or shrimps can enter from the front or back??

Thanks

If you can afford it go with the 15g, you will need 22lbs of LR/LS and 300gph flow or more (I have 300 in my 10g) the rock will be expensive, and the lights will also be quite expensive, I have 96watts on my 10g and would suggest 96watts for your 15g you can get them at a decient price at hellolights.com but if you want the best look/health for your tank, go MH, that will by far improve the look and health of any coral you would want to keep (if you go SPS or LPS)

So you need;

*25lbs LR

*22lbs LS

*3-4 100gph powerheads or a aqua clear 300 with 1 150 gph powerhead

*80-150watts of light (many people think that the watts per gallon rule is a good 'rule of thumb' but it sucks, If you have 55watts of light most people would say 'get more light' but if you were to put the coral close to the light, like ontop of the highest rock, then it wouldnt matter, you could do like Frogspawn on the top, but it would die on the bottom)

Make good choices, plan for yourself, and READ a ton of books/info I was gathering info on SW tanks for 4 months before I set mine up.

GOOD LUCK :)

Phish,

Do you really have that much GPH in a 10g TANK!? Holy cow what do you keep in it? I have a hard enough time keeping my loose 'shrooms and other corals from being blown away with just my two 70's!! Do you keep leathers in it?

~V

No, its cycling right now, but I have it placed rather high and at an angle to where if flows around the tank in an oval, bouncing off the wall, and into the aqua clear mini and back to the powerhead, it dicipates half way through and keep a constant flow in every area, it dosent bother my hermits and they crawl all over the live rock where the tip of the current just touches the rock.

Ohh, I forgot, I made a mistake I was thinking of my 40g tank.... I just noticed that, I wasnt talking about my 10g...

Go with 100-150 that should work.

Sorry about that, I think its my clue to go to bed :D

Archived