SaltCritters.com

Help me plan a sump

bonsaidarrell

Hi,

I'm planning my nano reef tank. Originally I was thinking about a Solana, but I'm now considering a custom cube of the same size, but with a sump. The display would be 20" x 20" x 20" (approx 34 gallons). How much flow should I be thinking about? I plan to also have VorTech also, so the flow just needs to be enough to make the sump effective.

I don't have the stand fully planned out, but I would have about 18" x 18" for the sump (with more flexibility on the height). I have not found any pre-built sumps that would fit. So I would either have to have a custom sump built or use some other container. Note that two 5 gallon tanks side to side would fit, perhaps using bulkheads to connect them?

In the sump I need a mechanical filter (I was thinking one of the "socks", but a pad would work too), skimmer (could use a hang on possibly), heater, temp and ph probe, ATO float, and return pump (probably submersible). Other things I would like, but maybe not have room for all would be a deep sand bed, a fuge, and a fan for cooling.

So, any ideas on what to use for the sump, and how to lay it out to optimize the space?

Thanks,

Darrell

Hi,

I'm planning my nano reef tank. Originally I was thinking about a Solana, but I'm now considering a custom cube of the same size, but with a sump. The display would be 20" x 20" x 20" (approx 34 gallons). How much flow should I be thinking about? I plan to also have VorTech also, so the flow just needs to be enough to make the sump effective.

I don't have the stand fully planned out, but I would have about 18" x 18" for the sump (with more flexibility on the height). I have not found any pre-built sumps that would fit. So I would either have to have a custom sump built or use some other container. Note that two 5 gallon tanks side to side would fit, perhaps using bulkheads to connect them?

In the sump I need a mechanical filter (I was thinking one of the "socks", but a pad would work too), skimmer (could use a hang on possibly), heater, temp and ph probe, ATO float, and return pump (probably submersible). Other things I would like, but maybe not have room for all would be a deep sand bed, a fuge, and a fan for cooling.

So, any ideas on what to use for the sump, and how to lay it out to optimize the space?

Thanks,

Darrell

Hi Darrell, check out my Deuce Deuce link below - I built a custom sump/fuge, which turned out pretty sweet. There is a compartment which will allow room for a skimmer, or floss, or filter cartridges. I also use the entire front face of the tank as a display. Who says Fuge's aren't interesting?

FYI, the basic rule of thumb is to make 10x your tank size (in gallons) worth of flow per hour. 34 gallons = 340gph. Depending on what you keep in the tank you may want up to 20x. There are so many variables that count toward this, that you are ultimately making an educated guess. The idea is to have enough flow that it will blow the crud off the rock/substrate to be carried through your overflow.

If you are using powerheads, or a closed loop, then you really only need a couple hundred GPH rolling through your fuge. The refugium should have a slow to moderate flow. The main purpose is to pump oxygenated water into the display. It will also filter your water quite nice, once you grow out that macro algae. In my opinion, build the biggest sump/fuge you have room for! The more water, the more potential you have to maintain stable parameters.

Best luck,

Archived