SaltCritters.com

Check out my new fuge...

jayk

Just picked this up from the local plastic shop today (Plastic Depot here in Fremont - I'm really happy with the results for $70). I put the fittings in and a Lee's small protein skimmer. I plan to pump water up from my main tank (into the side with one fitting) and then have my macroalgae and other stuff in the big compartment. Water will flow through to the skimmer compartment and then overflow into final compartment. My idea for the final compartment is to use it as a primative sort of surge device - if I can figure out some kind of valve that will open when that last compartment fills up.

Problems: I made the last compartment too narrow so I had to cut the fittings down quite a bit before I could get them down there and threaded in. Also, I think I made the barrier before the last compartment a little too high; I plan to cut it down some (not sure how yet - maybe I'll just take it back to the shop and let them do it).

Question: Are the bulkhead-style fittings that use a rubber washer and a big nut reliable long-term? My understanding is these do not have to be glued, but I'm worried about them leaking. Maybe I'll just have to tighten up the nut periodically.

Archived