Top Shelf Aquatics

Kveille's Red Sea Max Build Thread

kveille

Yes, I am back in action. I am finally able to see how the skimmer is supposed to run. It is funny to see the difference in the flow once I fixed it. There is no more mistaking it for running full speed when it was not. I am hoping to add my first fish after Thanksgiving. I am going to add two Ocellaris Clown Fish.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I slowly built up my CUC and finally added my first two fish a week ago. My water parameters seem to be in check, but I feel my pH and Alk is low. I have been having trouble accurately reading the PH from my API test kit. The colors are so close to each other and the color changes depending if glass tube is touching the reference card or if it is slightly off of the reference card. I am not sure which way is correct, so I am being conservative in my readings. Also, my API phosphate test never seems to change color so it never matches the chart. I am guessing since the tube seems to be pretty clear and the 0 phosphate color is really light that I have zero phosphates.

My son was excited when I added the two Ocellaris Clownfish (Tank Raised). He named them Marsh and Marshmallow. Everyone that comes over to my house loves the tank, but can’t seem to grasp the concept of taking it slowly. They wanted me to dump everything it once, but I keep telling them to be patient and you will like the end result.

Livestock

2 - Ocellaris Clownfish (Tank Raised)

CUC

5 – Black Turbo Snails

5 – Cerith Snails

4 – Astraea Snails

5 – Trochus Snails

4 – Nassarius Snails

6 – Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs

1 – Electric Blue Hermit Crabs

1 – Blue Tuxedo Pincushion Urchin

Future Additions

2 – Firefish or Purple Firefish

1 – Royal Gramma

1 – Six Line Wrasse or Flame Angel

Misc Corals – TBD

How many fish do you think I can safe keep in this tank? Also, I know the Flame Angels are considered to be a risky addition to a reef tank. It seems like some people have had luck keeping them with corals.

Water Parameters

SG – 1.25

PH – 8.0

Ammonia – 0

Nitrite – 0

Nitrate – 0

Alk – 6-7

Calcium – 420

Phosphates – 0

Full Tank

IMG_6644-1.jpg

Rockscape

IMG_6645.jpg

Blue Tuxedo Pincushion Urchin

IMG_6638.jpg

Ocellaris Clownfish

IMG_6639.jpg

Marsh

IMG_6640.jpg

Marshmallow

IMG_6641.jpg

My RSM is coming along fine. I added two more fish this week. One Yellow Watchman Goby and a Firefish. Both are doing fine, but are a little shy. I am hoping they warm up to the aquarium and come out a little more. I will probably add one more fish in a week or two and begin stocking the tank with corals.

IMG_6715.jpg

IMG_6727.jpg

IMG_6721.jpg

IMG_6722.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Update

Everything has been going well with my tank. I have not had any major problems and all fish, corals and CUC seem to be doing well. Last week I decided to change up my aquascaping. I felt the rocks I had were too big and would be difficult for me to move around once I started placng corals on them, so I took out a hammer and chisel and went to work. Plus, I want it to be easy for me to frag some of these once they grow out. Let me know what you think.

I bought a dwarf Cherub angelfish and a cleaner shrimp the other day at my LFS. I wasn't able to bring it home that day so I am going back tomorrow. I am going to try my luck at placing a dwarf angel in the aquarium and hope that he doesn't pick at the corals.

Also, over the past month I have been adding a bunch of coral frags to the tank. I actually think I am addicted to buying frags. Luckily, I joined my local reef club and they had a meet this past weekend so I was able to score some nice corals at great prices. I can't wait for these frags to grow out a little. My corals consist of a pink bird's nest, baby pink leather, 2 different colored hammers, mushrooms and a bunch of zoas/palys.

Here are some new pictures. Actually it is a ton of pictures.

FTS

IMG_6907-1.jpg

IMG_6909.jpg

IMG_6932.jpg

IMG_6917.jpg

IMG_6935.jpg

IMG_6912.jpg

IMG_6915.jpg

IMG_6916.jpg

IMG_6919.jpg

IMG_6920.jpg

IMG_6921.jpg