Pod Your Reef

Help with test results...

Phish

My tank has been up for one week, I tested three days into the cycle, and Got Nitrate 50, Nitrite .1 I use Salifert for these tests.

Then one week later, I got an ammonia test (I was told by Jeff that you really didnt need it, just monitor the trites/trates and you would know) and tested;

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

Am I dont cycling? I dont get it, I have 20lbs of LS and 11LBS of live rock, The LR I got was covered in macro algae... Could my tank have cycled in a week, I know it has for some people but I am skeptical.

Help/suggestions please.

It's possible. I'd wait at least another week before I add anything. Continue to test adn make sure nothing bounces around. Cycle depends heavily on how good the rock is really. If it was out of water for minimal times while shipping or maybe your LFS had it for a week or two before you got it the rock would have minimal if any die off. Just watch it for another weeks and if everyithing is still cool than your cycled.

Cameron

Therin lies the problem with "dont add any life yet" my mother (for a little birthday surprise) got me 6 Cortez hermit crabs, (they told her they were reef safe, I know nothing about them and am currently researching) and the LFS cant take anything back (damn, I knew the owner for 8 years and he just sold it so its under 'new management')

So now I have 6 hermit crabs in my tank, dont really know if its fully done cycling, and cant take 'em back... If ammonia starts climbing I could just run some carbon, but I dont want to kill these poor little crabs...

How can I keep them alive if its not done cycling yet?

Thanks Physh1 your a great help and that sexy avatar always makes everything better ;)

I think you are cycled but I just wanted to add the other info in. I think w/ acclimation the crabs will be fine....even if the amm or trite pops up they should be ok...I was more making that comment for fish and corals.

I don't have my books handy but I've had the cortez hermits and they never bothered anything in any reef I've ever had. You'll be fine :D.

Cameron

My LFS ran out of Salifert ammonia tests and they recomended Dry-tab, its what they use and they said it is as acurate as Salifert and is quicker to test (its a buisness with lots of people with bad watter...) and I tested today and my ammonia was off the charts, a huge spike, I tested yesterday and it was at 0, now its a 4!!! I dont want to kill those poor little crabs and cant take them back, I like the crabs.... But its been like this all day, and they arent dead yet so maybe they might make it through...:(

I dunno about the dry tabs. Lots of "simple" tests yield funky amm levels as the test reagent can react w/ other tank chemicals. They are an ok test but not anywhere near Salifert quality in the accuracy dept. You could take them back but the issue w/ that is at this point in time, with your amm levels up there, they've got a better chance of living in your tank than being dumped into one w/ perfect water quality.

Good luck, Cameron

Cameron

Archived