Coral Vue Hydros

JustReef's SPS/Clams 40 Breeder

JustReef

what size did you make the overflow box? And who built it?

The overflow is roughly 6x4x16 and built by TheCowKid, a user on here.

I use the Herbie method on the overflow and it's dead silent.

That black sand is awesome. And your rock work looks nice, too.

Thanks, I always struggle with the aqascaping. I think it's the hardest part of setting up a new tank.

Im having my overflow made to be 4"x7"x15 3/4" tall

That should be plenty big enough to handle the flow through your sump.

Update. I finally got my light: CurrentUSA T5 Nova Extreme Pro. I am very impressed with the light.

Full Tank Shot with light

FTS20090228.jpg

Mesh top I made - thanks to BlueBastion for the idea.

ScreenTop.jpg

Size shot

SideShot20090228.jpg

Some zoas I have been hiding away in my frag tank.

FireAndIce200902.jpg

GreenZoas200902.jpg

Wider shot of the tank.

AngleShot20090228.jpg

It's funny, but I was just thinking this morning that if I could set up anything I wanted right now it would be a 40B display plumbed to a 20L sump!

I'd even use the Herbie method, like you!

This is looking good.

How is your flow in the tank with the way you have it set up?

Are you gonna stick with Stock bulbs on the NEP, or are you gonna upgrade it?

How does the reflector look on that light?

I'm just curious cause I recently got a Sundial, which has some similarities to your fixture.

Also, can you either give an explanation, or post a link to an explanation on how you made that mesh top?

I've been wanting to make one myself.

I'm still tweaking the flow. I drilled the tank for a closed loop, but abandon the idea when the used pump I bought leaked and sounded like a helicopter taking off. Right now I have two K3s. It's definitely enough flow, but one is making a big sand dune, so I need to adjust it.

For the NEP, I'm sticking with the stock bulbs for now. I'm really impressed with the color. It's a lot like a 20K. I did switch out one of the blue bulbs for a super actinic. Eventually I'll change to Blue+ and AquaSun bulbs.

The reflector looks OK. It's not as good as some of the parabolic reflectors I have seen, but apparently it does the job. TJ_Burton had this same light and the colors on his SPS were amazing.

Here's a link to instruction on building the mesh top. It's really easy and you can all of the stuff and Home Depot or Lowes. I was certain the top was going to cause wailing, crying, and gnashing of teeth, but I got through it without a single swear word.

The first fish I want to add is a purple firefish and I can't find one locally. I think all the LFSs ran out the second I wanted one. I probably just add my clown first and hope he doesn't cause problems for new additions.

• 4 weeks later...

Update!

Everything is pretty much done. I'm not real happy with the right side of the tank. The torch takes up a ton of room and I have to be careful about where I place it because of the flow. Not happy with the flow either. I'll probably get an mp40 as soon as I have the cash. I'm going to a frag swap this weekend, so I should have some more goodies soon. Until then...

A lot of these corals are browned out from being in my frag tank with no actinic light. They've already started to color up.

Superman Monti

Superman.jpg

Rainbow and Sunset Montis, Tri-color acro, Birdsnest

Corals1.jpg

FTS

FTS20090331.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

New additions, check 'em out. Some of this is from the Cleveland Frag Swap and some is from a sale at Phishy Business (NR sponsor).

Chalice

GreenChalice.jpg

Purple Polyp Cap. Blue Zoas.

PurplePolypCap.jpg

ORA Pearlberry and Morning Star Monti

Pearlberry.jpg

Gold Maxima

NewGoldClam.jpg

I also got an Oregon Tort and a Teal Staghorn, but I haven't been able to get good pics yet.

Here's a few things I already had.

GreenZoas.jpg

Maze Brain Platygyra

MazeBrain.jpg

Superman - starting to really color up.

Superman.jpg

Nuclear Greens - I've had these for 6 months and seen zero growth. Still 2 polyps.

NukeGreens.jpg

Purple Cap

PurpleCap.jpg

Acan, Torch, and Clown (still my only fish)

Clown.jpg

I had a choice this weekend of getting a clam or getting a fish and chose the clam, lol. The QT tank is all set up, but I'm going out of town and didn't want a new fish in there yet. Hopefully Phishy will still have a few good fish when I get back.

I did a little aquascaping and rearranging. Here's the new FTS.

FTS20090426.jpg

I'm still not happy with my flow. I'm looking forward to getting a Vortech MP20 in the not too distant future. The torch coral has been a big problem for the flow. It's about the size of a softball and can't take too much. I'd like to frag it, but the whole thing is covered in flesh and I've heard not to cut through that.

Archived