SaltCritters.com

Coralife Skimmer

animalrie

Well, my Octopus skimmer busted and I had to throw it away, so I'm going the cheaper route this time (mainly because I'm broke from the rest of my aquarium expenditures) and have decided to get a Coralife Super Skimmer rated to up to 125 gallons for my 75 gallon reef. It doesn't seem to be the absolute worst skimmer out there, so why not? Anyway, on this site, it refers to a pump included when all the other sites include that you must buy a pump seperately. So...is the intake pump included or not? Thanks! LInk.

the 220 needle wheel version has a pump and the one referred to as "venturi" doesn't and cost less. It probably more effective to get the needle wheel version. As someone who's had both the coralife super skimmer and octopus (on the same and different tanks) I can say you will be thoroughly disappointed if you buy the coralife skimmer. For the $220 the CL220 cost you can get alot better skimmer. even for $150 for the version without pump I would get the Octopus NW110 over the CL220 on a 75g. It sure works alot better than the CL125 that uses the same needle wheel pump and doesn't need constant adjusting. If the octopus's gave you a bad taste for whatver reason it broke the turboflotor multi, euroreef RS80, ASM G1, Aqua Euro PS135 or PS250 are MUCH better needle wheel skimmers than the coralife and dont cost any more than the 220. If octopus didn't give you a bad taste the NW200 is 3x the skimmer the coralife is for the same price (so is the AquaEuro PS250 which isn't much different except the pump).

the coralife skims (not as well as ANY of the above) but its a real pain to own. I' talking constant adjustment to keep it working optimally and a few choice mods (mainly boring out the air intake port on the strainer) to keep the air intake from clogging is in order as well. If you buy the coralife get one USED. they are dirt cheap and plentiful used.

a little more costly but still under $300. all the good HOB are a bit pricy.

warner marine H2. there's a $230 H1 that uses a sedra 2500 (think ASM G1) but its only rated to 40g.

WMH21.jpg

Archived