SaltCritters.com

mangroves

audi206rs4

Yes you can clean the glass off of your glass. I've never kept mangroves but I know many ppl are shying away from them as of late. Technoshaman ha a mangrove tank, I'd ask him.

ALSO, be patient, ppl will get to your question when they can. !?!?!?! won't get you help any faster. If you want quick answers go to nanochat.

OK!?!?!?!

You can clean the glass off your glass, but can you clean the algae off your algae? All that I know about mangroves is that I once read something that ESPI wrote, try a seach if you haven't already. Be sure to clean your glass off the algae, that shouldn't pose a problem! ;) Sorry, I know I'm no help.

technoshaman

Heya - mangroves are neat but let me give you a few good and bad points about them:

Good:

- They look cool especially when they have the extensive root structure

- They provide a lot of surface for epiphytic organisms and are a great nursery area for juvenile fish (I used to keep my breeding bangaiis in my mangrove refugium).

Bad:

- They are slow to grow - to see the neat root structure will take a looong time. Also in a nano if it does start growing fast the roots can crack glass easily.

- They are finicky - moving them from place to place can kill them - salinity should be constant and preferrably lower than normal reef salinities. They will need to be sprayed with freshwater a few times a week to get all the salt crystals off of their leaves. They do much much better in brackish or fresh water.

- They really don't do a whole lot as far as filtration goes unless you have a large amount of them.

- They may deplete some trace elements particularily magnesium - I haven't been able to test this completely but regular water changes might do the trick.

Other than that I think they are really neat - you can get pods cheap online or from places like our sponsor www.coraldynamics.com - if you do get pods find out what kind of water they are being kept in salinity wise and replicate that and gradually move them up or down till you get to the salinity you have in your tank - sloooooow acclimation like over weeks is best if its a large change. I've lost a few nice specimens by moving them too soon and not acclimating them to higher salinities. Julian Sprung wrote a great article on mangroves let me see if I can find it for you....

Ok well I couldn't find it - was a cool .pdf here is a good article by Daniel Knop I found instead:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/apr...002/feature.htm

I have 10 of them in my 35g HOB. They have done well since I got them about 7months ago. They are in high salinity water 1.025. I spray the leaves every night when I do tank maintnence.

I have a 60w grow light above them that I leave on all day.

They look awsome but not too sure if they do much for the filtration.

They would be better to have in an open top tank for a lagoon type setup, and have the roots growing over a pile of live rocks in the tank. Or if you have a big refugium set up right next to the tank.

They do grow very slow and drop leaves, so you have to grab them out of the water every now and then.

Archived