Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help With Magnesium Levels

Nick's Reef

Well i ordered new test kits from marinedepot and got them yesterday. I have since tested my water and this is what i got.

Calcium:440ppm (API)

Mg:1125mg/L(Seachem)

Total Alk:2.5 meq (Seachem)

So eerything but magnesium is where it should be. I'm wondering if it is because I haven't done my weekly waterchange yet orif I need to dose something for it.

Any help is greatly apperciated!

It could depend on what type of salt you're using. I use Tropic Marin and it's low in magnesium. I dose DTs' magnesium daily. I keep it aound 1350.

I use NSW straight from the Atlantic ocean, my lfs goes to the local inlet on incoming tide and collects water. I'm going to mix my own water soon tho since I will be getting into sps when I buy halides since I don't want to risk it with bad NSW and wipe out all the sps since the are so sensitive.

The Propagator

I personally would NEVER use water collected directly from the sea that was collected any where near the sore line.

Nasties roll in from the open ocean and wave action foams it up and washes it up on the beach, then the sand and rock filters it as it drains back out to sea. So its coming in filthy.

I would only use NSW if it were collected about 2-3 miles out honestly, and only brought up from fairly deep water.

Well it looks like i won't be able to get NSW for a while since the water is very nasty currently due to all the hurricanes. Any suggestions on salt mix? I can get mixed from the lfs for now but I want to get the best salt for my money and not have to worry about it's levels.

ocean%20pro.jpg

My tank and I are pretty pleased with this stuff here... Not the cheapest of salts though!

Yeah, I was looking at that stuff. I got a little box of IO just because I can't get any nsw atm and mixed that up. Hopefully my corals won't get pissed cause of the change.

The Propagator

I like Oceanic. /Used it for years now.

but that seems to be a debatable salt now I guess so meh.... Until what ever it is thats wrong with strikes my tank as well... I will rock on with my bad self I guess :lol:

Archived