Top Shelf Aquatics

Garlic anyone?

Catspa

Just curious, i've read of lots of people using garlic to aid in the battle against Ick, and was just wondering, is there any chance that this remedy could end up doing more harm then good.

last time i socked my food in something (vitamine C supplement),  it ended up killing the fish, hence i'm not sure if i want to try it....

So i guess, what i want to know is, is it safe? and what exact proceedure would you recomend,

its for a small firefish, and possibly a small fake perc. (he's in issolation tank with firefish).

thanks

vanillabox

I use it, and it has worked great.  Currently I have two damsels, one that was given to me because it had such a bad case of ich.  Now it is doing great, and no visable signs of parasites on the fish.  I add 2 teaspoons of garlic powder to the half pound of seafood mix I get from the local grocery store, and then a sheet of nori.  This gives me a nice low cost food that feeds all of my tanks inhabitants that fights parasitic infections.

Christopher Marks

I've always had good luck with it, especially with tangs.  I use an actual oil, which is garlic extracted into pure olive oil.  It's made by Natures Way, and I bought it at a specialty foods grocery store.

Thanks guys, so just curious how long do i soke it for, or how much power aproximately would i use for say a 1cm piece of plancton.. aprox... like a tiny pinch, or just a few grains...? can the fish OD on it?

ps my firefish looks fine now, cant see any signs of infection and is acting fine, but another fish that in my quaranteen tank, a small fake perc. now looks like he might have it... but i'm not sure, his case the pimples look smaller, to the point that i'm thinking he might have a fungal infection, also darting around and not eating... (i'm thinking possible fungal infection due to dots on him look less defined, almost fuzzy, and because it appeared so quickly..not sure what to do for him) Currently only treating the quaranteen tank with Cupermine & am going to try to feed them some garlic food before i go away tonight....WTH is going on in my quaranteen tank???

ps The only consulation is my Main tank looks Great!

Archived