Innovative Marine Aquariums

Calcium

Whacked

Ok, I have (and had) a very high calcium level in my tank.

PH is also higher than norm but its stable. Livestock seem to be doing fine.

So is high CA a bad thing?

last water test results:

Temp:80

Sal:1.025

PH:8.6

Alk:3 (red Sea test kit and a PITA to read properly)

dKH: 9

CA:31 (620ppm)

PO4, NH3,NO3,NO2:0

these are with the API liquid test kits. I dont have a MG test kit.

RO water and Oceanic salt. I top off manually with RO water.

I am asking this 'cause I heard about alkalinity burn on livestock. I just want to be sure. Everything with them seems OK. cleaner shrimp molts every week. found that my 6-line is the cause of my hermit deaths. Lost a few astrea snails, havent seen all of my nass snails in awhile, just 1 pops up from time to time.

The Propagator

What do you dose. Normally ( even with oceanic salt mix ) calcium levels aren't that high with out dosing some thing or a bad test kit . or pilot error :P

Usually you wont see calcium precipitation ( white snow ) until its on or over 750-800 ppm.

BUT you could start seeing calcification on your heater, and power heads. For some reason it always loads up there 1st. It will probably look like an off white, yellow/brown crust.

I have seen some batches of Oceanic salt test at pretty high levels on Ca, so he may not be wrong about that.

I've been using Oceanic, but am considering switching to a mix of 1/2 Oceanic, 1/2 Tropic Marin (reg version).

maybe I should have mentioned that.

I dont dose anything.

I do have a little yellow/brown crusty stuff on my heater, PH has started to crust with coraline. Skimmer is to new (week 3 of running it) to get crusty.

I thought that the stuff on my heater was just PITA diatom algae.

Tomorrow I do my weekly test & w/c so i'll be extra careful to help rule out any potential user error.

OK, test results are in.

Temp: 80

Sal: 1.025

PH: 8.6

Alk: ~2.8

CA: 28 (560)

NH3,NO3,NO2,PO4: 0

new fresh 5g

Sal:1.025

Temp: 80

PH: 8.6

Alk: ~2.8

CA: 27 (540)

Looking over my test log. In the last 2 months, dKH varied from 9-10, Alk was ~3.0 so dropped today, CA has been 31-34 (620-680) today is first time its been below 600.

Only thing different,

9/1 I upgraded lights from 64W PC to 130W PC

9/6 I added 2 zoa frags.

9/2 added 4 red-leg hermits, have 2 left

8/31 added 5 astraea snails (my CUC is weak, add 1 (known surviving) nass snail and 1 cleaner shrimp and thats it)

I was bad, last week I did a W/C but didnt test, the results I thread started with were from 8/30

So from what I can see, the Oceanic salt is pretty high in calcium. Doesnt quite explain why earlier it was over 600. Only thing that I can think of that would use calcium is my inverts. (dont think zoa's use calcium??) but as meager as my CUC is, would that be enough to drop 60ppm?

And back to my earlier question, is high calcium a bad thing?

Yea I know. the Alk test is a major PITA to read.

Just that there is nothing else available locally.

Not worth it to order online until I have something else I need to get.

Yea I know. the Alk test is a major PITA to read.

Just that there is nothing else available locally.

Not worth it to order online until I have something else I need to get.

Considering the issues you're having it just might be worth it :) FWIW, I think Ca withOceanic normally comes out in the high 500's, but Prop will tell you different.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1287118

Ben

OH... Ben......

I can only state my own experience broseph.

I know... and I have the utmost respect for your experience and expertise. :)

I just knew you'd vote otherwise and I was trying to save you the keystrokes... only cause I care :D

Archived