Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Orca TL-450 Skimmer Problems!

NanoBlip

Hi, I recently got an orca as a present and have been cycling some LR in it for about a week now. All my levels are 0 and the pH is 8.2 so it's just a matter of another week or so before I can get the clean up crew.

I can't seem to be able to get the skimmer working though. It's making an immense amount of micro bubblz. I'm not sure exactly wts meant to happen, but i thought the bubbles shouldnt make th cup at the top fill up with water in about 10 secs. The skimmer is fed by a tube with a valve on the end that goes in the watr that u hav to tighten to adjust. This is my 1st marine so i dunno how much i should tighten it or anything so id rely apreciate it if someone ould help.

by the way this post is very limited cuz my keyboard died so its taken about 15 mins to write all of this using the on-screen keyboard, so if anythings unclear, plz say so and hopefuly my keyboard will be workin and i will be able to say a lot more info.

thnx =]

This is just a guess because I have no experiance with that skimmer, but it sounds like you need to lower the water level in the skimmer a bit. Try adjusting the valve you were talking about, if that doesn't work raise the skimmer up a bit so the water drops lower. As far as the bubbles go, most skimmers have a break-in period. You should be ok in about a week.

i have an orca running now for nearly a year and the skimmer that came with it only lasted a few months before I got rid of it. Very poor skimmer and youll never completely stop the micro bubbles with it getting back into the tank. Some people have tried putting floss in the heater camber to reduce them getting back into the tank, so you could try this. As for the cup filling in ten seconds, try closing the valve all the way and then opening it one turn and watch the rate then. Adjust as you see fit. You cant really adjust the water level except by adjusting the water in all the tank. There are skimmers or around for small money that fit and are better. Some sold on ebay.

This is just a guess because I have no experiance with that skimmer, but it sounds like you need to lower the water level in the skimmer a bit. Try adjusting the valve you were talking about, if that doesn't work raise the skimmer up a bit so the water drops lower. As far as the bubbles go, most skimmers have a break-in period. You should be ok in about a week.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I have tried adjusting the water lvl in the skimmer but in the tank, all the filtration and stuff is in a back chamber and i cant seem to lower the water lvl in the skimmer chamber. Whenever i try it justs keeps coming back :(

i have an orca running now for nearly a year and the skimmer that came with it only lasted a few months before I got rid of it. Very poor skimmer and youll never completely stop the micro bubbles with it getting back into the tank. Some people have tried putting floss in the heater camber to reduce them getting back into the tank, so you could try this. As for the cup filling in ten seconds, try closing the valve all the way and then opening it one turn and watch the rate then. Adjust as you see fit. You cant really adjust the water level except by adjusting the water in all the tank. There are skimmers or around for small money that fit and are better. Some sold on ebay.

Ok thanks. I haven't really had any luck yet and even when the water level in the tank is low, the skimmer chamber is full of it and i cant get it out :(

Archived