inTank Media Baskets

30-35 TDS

khill13

i searched high and low on this site and never found an answer, so hopefully you might be able to help me out. I just had our R/O (no D/I) water tested and it read 32 TDS. All that i have read say it should be 0 or as close as possible. i have been using this water for 4+ months with no adverse affects, in fact my livestock seems to be doing great (multiplying). Any reason why i can't keep using it? THANKS, Patrck

i searched high and low on this site and never found an answer, so hopefully you might be able to help me out. I just had our R/O (no D/I) water tested and it read 32 TDS. All that i have read say it should be 0 or as close as possible. i have been using this water for 4+ months with no adverse affects, in fact my livestock seems to be doing great (multiplying). Any reason why i can't keep using it? THANKS, Patrck

You should not keep using it because you don't know what those 32 parts are. Could be copper, chlorine, phosphate etc. These things can accumulate in your tank and although they won't cause a problem initially it could be detrimental in the future. I never put water in my tank greater than 0 ppm.

Where are you getting your R/O water? If it is from your own unit, it may have been 0 to start out with and is slowly getting worse. You probably need to change the filters. If you're getting it from the store, this is pretty typical and you'll probably be fine as long as your not trying to do SPS or clams.

I used R/O water from the grocery store for a year and it was never zero. However algae was always an issue. I'm glad I have my own unit now.

the R/O water is coming from my work. It is a system that has been set up for about 6 mos. It supposed to be a really nice unit made by kenetico. It doesn't get used very often except the 6 gallons i take a week. i am not doing any sps or clams just softs and lps. what do you think? It is pretty convenient.

the R/O water is coming from my work. It is a system that has been set up for about 6 mos. It supposed to be a really nice unit made by kenetico. It doesn't get used very often except the 6 gallons i take a week. i am not doing any sps or clams just softs and lps. what do you think? It is pretty convenient.

IMO convenience shouldn't be the determing factor. Like I said... that TDS is way too high.

I have been using 20-35 tds the the last couple months I did not see any effects on corals except for a little algae bloom. I just change out my filters and now I get zero tds I see more colors popping out on my SPS.

Test your tap water and then compair it to your RO water. 32 seems high. My tap was is between 38 and 44 w/o RO/DI and is always 0 after filtering. If your tap water is 32 and your R/O is 32, then you have a filtering issue

The Propagator

Industrial units SUCK BAWLZ unless they are made for high grade commercial food production.

If your getting it out of an RO unit designed to feed an emulsion cooling system or similar hang it up now.

It wont every get any better.

One thing I just noticed... If you are only using RO you will problably will never get ZERO TDS. The DI cartridge is what's used after the RO to remove whatever the RO could not remove. If you want ZERO you'll need to add a DI filter.

Test your tap water and then compair it to your RO water. 32 seems high. My tap was is between 38 and 44 w/o RO/DI and is always 0 after filtering. If your tap water is 32 and your R/O is 32, then you have a filtering issue

She also tested the tap and it came out near 400. Here in IN we do have extremely hard water but campared to your 38-44 it is extreme. Are there different TDS testers? IDK. this test was digital.

Industrial units SUCK BAWLZ unless they are made for high grade commercial food production.

If your getting it out of an RO unit designed to feed an emulsion cooling system or similar hang it up now.

It wont every get any better.

This unit is designed for the home. Just a residential R/O unit. I am going to ask her next time she is in about a D/I Cartridge.

She also tested the tap and it came out near 400. Here in IN we do have extremely hard water but campared to your 38-44 it is extreme. Are there different TDS testers? IDK. this test was digital.

This unit is designed for the home. Just a residential R/O unit. I am going to ask her next time she is in about a D/I Cartridge.

I happen to have a spare unoped DI cartridge that I can let go of cheap if you want it, just LMK.

I happen to have a spare unoped DI cartridge that I can let go of cheap if you want it, just LMK.

Thanks weetabix, i am going to ask her first since the system was a freebie for the customer referals we send them. i will keep it in mind though if she can't or isn't willing to add one. ILYK

Archived