Pod Your Reef

10 gallon

DigitalBoy

DigitalBoy

Hello. I am thinking of doing my first nano-reef.

Major qualities I am looking for are: low maintenance and stability. I intend to use 10 gallon tank with PC15232-ABS Custom Sealife lighting (64 watts) and want to keep 1 clarky clown, 10 hermits and 10 snails. I am also thinking of using 11 pounds of live rock, 4 pounds of base rock, 5 pounds of crushed coral as sand, 2 power heads, 1 mini penguin with bio-wheel filter.

What one thinks of this setup. Any recommendations? Thank you.

I would skip the Penguin filter.  They aren't the most reliable.  A hagen HO filter would be better IME.  Other than that your plan sounds pretty good.  

Oh, the clarkie clown is not a good choice for a nano.  They grow fairly large and would prefer atleast a 40-55g tank.  A percula or ocellaris would be a better choice.  Several of the psuedochromis are good choices as are grammas and gobies.  You don't want to stuff a fish into a nano that requires more territory than you have to offer.

I have always found my nano to be one of my most stable tanks.  I keep a few corals in it.  Usually a pair of clowns.  I have used it as temporary housing for anemones.  I only use a HO filter and no powerheads.  I do about a 3-4g water change on my 7g every 4-8 weeks.  I only feed a pinch of food daily.  The tank is running so well currently that I don't even need to clean the glass.  I have magnets for that and I haven't moved them in 2 months.  So IME if set up well and not overfed the nano can almost take care of itself.

ttt...  

DigitalBoy

Thank you for your reply. My other concern is the height of the aquarium, I guess I could either go for a 20x10x12 or 20x10x18 - and fill it 5'' of sand or more to provide biological filtration. How does that sound?

5 inches might be a bit much.  I would think that you might lose some biological activity at that depth because there wouldnt be enough water flow and nutrients down near the bottom.

Oh... but if you do have a deep sandbed like that, you can keep a nice jawfish.  Those are nifty.

• 3 weeks later...

keep like 2" SB would be fine. i m running a penguin (used) and have no problem yet. i'm running a 125 penguin w/out bio-wheel or media with one powerhead. thats enough water circulation for the tank. any other questions?

Archived