Top Shelf Aquatics

what is the lowest lighting a clam can thrive under?

13angels

high up on rocks? or would it be slow slow death?

I have a ten gallon mixed tank. LPS, Softs and a sps (red monti) plenty of live rock plenty of flow. my lighting is the dual satellite compact fluorescent, 80 watts, (from dr foster smith http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...p;pcatid=13637) would a clam even if placed hi in the tank thrive? i see them placed low in the sand with T-5 lighting seems like the short distance woulf make up for the intencity, what do you guys think?

also i know that theres a clam that tolerates lower lighting and docent grow over 5" anyone knows wich one it is y think it's T. derasa, anyone 100% sure? crocea? maxima? gigas? Squamosa?

I have a ten gallon mixed tank. LPS, Softs and a sps (red monti) plenty of live rock plenty of flow. my lighting is the dual satellite compact fluorescent, 80 watts, (from dr foster smith http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...p;pcatid=13637) would a clam even if placed hi in the tank thrive? i see them placed low in the sand with T-5 lighting seems like the short distance woulf make up for the intencity, what do you guys think?

also i know that theres a clam that tolerates lower lighting and docent grow over 5" anyone knows wich one it is y think it's T. derasa, anyone 100% sure? crocea? maxima? gigas? Squamosa?

All of the Tridacnid sp. grow over 5" - and none are suitable for PC lighting, even if it were that close. They may survive for a while, but certainly not thrive.

Your only real option would be Hippopus Hippopus (formerly Tridacna Hippopus). They are much less light dependent and probably the slowest growing of the bunch.

That's IME of course. You may get different answers, but to be honest, PC isn't really acceptable for any photosynthetic clam, and no Tridacnid sp. will stay under 5".

crocea and maxima you can put 2" under pc lighting and it wont live long term. Deresa MIGHT live. It definately will live for a good while (long enough to fool you into thinking the light is fine even if it isn't long term) as they are 100x more tolerant of lower light and bad water quality than a crocea clam (these are the only two I've actually had. I had a tank break and had to move them from under 175w MH to under 192w of pc about the height you are talking so I saw directly how much more forgiving the deresa was). Gigas and Squamosa's wont fit in a 10g witin a year so no point of even discussing those even though they are more tolerant of low light. I would at least upgrade to a clip on 70w MH if I really wanted to try croceas. they ALL can grow larger than 5" although croceas max out at about 6". All the rest can grow well over a foot! unfortunately the smallest one is also the most light demanding and difficult one.

crocea under 175w MH (directly under the bulb.the bulb was 8" off the water and the clam was about 5" from the top)

sept5croceaclamtop.jpg

deresa under same lighting not directly under the light and at the bottom (tank was only 19" deep)

sept5blastoandderesaclam.jpg

unfortunate incident with both under pc lighting. the derera and SPS lasted a long time. If I remember correctly the crocea didn't make it a full week

livestock1.jpg

Archived