Pod Your Reef

Test Kit Problems

sdboogie

I've been waiting for my tank to finish cycling. So Ive been testing with Seachem MultiTest Marine Basic test kit. For a while now the nitrates have been above 30, how far I can't really tell because the card that you compare the results with seems to be the same color from 20 on. So I got a new kit to test Phosphates, Calcium and Nitrates. So I gave the Nitrate test a whirl using the medium range method. You take the reading and multiply times 10 to get the results. It tested out at .2 so I multiply times 10 to get 2mg/l. Oh by the way, the new kit is a Seatest kit. So, what am I to believe. The first kit has calibration samples and the kit tested ok with the calibration sample. Oh, how wonderful would it be if the nitrates are really just 2, then Im on my way to populating the tank. But Im still skeptical. Maybe ill take a water sample in to the LFS for testing. Anyone have similar experience? Any insight would be helpful.

When in doubt, wait it out. Give it another couple of days and test again. Don't be in too much of a rush to stock the tank. Patience is the key in this hobby.

Patience...point well taken. But does anyone have experience with two kits giving completely different results? Do I go with the more accepted kits (Seatest) results? Has anyone had problems with the Seachem kit?

Seachem kits are good but I believe that some kits contain chemicals that will expire. Check some of those packets and the manufature date to see how old your kit it.

Cameron

I ended up taking a sample into the LFS for testing. The first test, using the FasTest for nitrate showed the nitrates to be below 10. The second test using the SeaTest for low nitrates tested out of range above 1. So between 1 and 10. Not bad. I'm stoked. So I bought my first coral, the LFS dude said it was OK. I ended up with a scallop with a sponge and a few shrooms. I will continue with the regular water changes and testing.

This is getting fun!

Archived